Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

MLM Bot Watch 25 - Powered by Twunk's Yazoo: Tragicomic cultic wampum flogging scamalangadingdongs like Forever Living, Ariix, Herbalife, Younique, Juiceplus, LifeTreeWorld (RIP)

(818 Posts)
MyCatsHateMLMtoo Tue 02-Aug-16 09:48:11

New thread, links to follow...

MyCatsHateMLMtoo Tue 02-Aug-16 09:58:01

Previous link (24) here.

Thread 23 here.

Botwatch here.

Botwatch facebook here.

Timeless Vie (MLM parody website) here.

Timeless Vie facebook here.

Hommetrepremeur's facebook here.

Link to the Daily Mail article of 20 May 2016 regarding an ex-bot's treatment at the hands of her 'spline' at Forever Living UK here.

Link to NastashaBarnbotShingles' refutation of the above here.

Eye's blog here.

Plus feel free to add other links grin.

ForeverYazoonique Tue 02-Aug-16 10:23:48

On crappy internet connection on holiday so no links but just signing in from the lidos near Venice!

MyCatsHateMLMtoo Tue 02-Aug-16 10:44:49

Ah Venice. Love Venice smile. Thanks for taking the time to check in grin.

MyCatsHateMLMtoo Tue 02-Aug-16 10:46:50

Good post from Robert Fitzpatrick regarding Herbalife here. I am wondering what will be the knock-on effect on other MLMs worldwide?

cozietoesie Tue 02-Aug-16 11:56:46

Well done. I have a feeling that 25 ought to be a 'celebratory' thread in some way (that's subtly the wrong word, I know) but I'm not sure how it would be best to mark the occasion. smile

Spongebobette Tue 02-Aug-16 12:20:06

we should have a sizzle, Cozie! With the cheapest Prosecco we can find, and a selfie stick.

ForeverYazoonique Tue 02-Aug-16 12:23:26

It's our Silver Anniversary thread! 💙 flowers

MyCatsHateMLMtoo Tue 02-Aug-16 13:16:16

Heavens, yes! A sizzle. Lots of positive memes, "never give up huns", "success is just round the bend" etc grin

cozietoesie Tue 02-Aug-16 13:24:30

This FTC guidance might be of interest to people even though it's US focussed. I don't think it's necessarily the 'new guidance' that was promised following the Herbalife decision but it's still July 2016.

Spongebobette Tue 02-Aug-16 13:37:30

We ARE unstoppable

darceybussell Tue 02-Aug-16 13:45:50

The Robert Fitzpatrick article is very interesting. I was wondering if some of the Herbalife rules would also be applicable to other MLMs and he seems to suggest that they will. Could this be the beginning of the end for MLMs? (At least in the US)

cozietoesie Tue 02-Aug-16 14:25:45

I reckon they are applicable.

The fine is pretty much a bagatelle to an organisation like Herbalife but the new terms of operation are not. Potentially at least. The appointment of the new ICA will, I'm sure, be a matter of keen interest.

DollyTwat Tue 02-Aug-16 20:20:12

Thought I'd check in! Thanks for the new thread
I have been reading but summer and Pokemon Go has been more enticing. I will come and contribute seeing as it's the thread anniversary

thereisalwaysone Tue 02-Aug-16 20:50:38

Happy 25th anniversary Huns!

Am I right in thinking that our previous thread superstar barn residing visitor has moved back home to her council house? That cut in the cc level must be having a bit impact now then I guess.

Spongebobette Tue 02-Aug-16 21:04:52

How do you know, Thereis?

ForeverYazoonique Tue 02-Aug-16 21:12:05

See timeless vie Sponge

Spongebobette Tue 02-Aug-16 21:18:52

Oh I see. What a lot of nonsense she spouts. If she wanted a big beautiful home she could have found one much closer to her old place and had the best of both worlds. It wasn't about that at all, was it. Silly moo.

Annie65 Wed 03-Aug-16 07:44:14

Thread marking folks. Happy 25th Thread Anniversary everyone xxxx

YouOKHun Wed 03-Aug-16 07:53:19

My cats - thanks for the guidance on which thread to use (I still haven't mastered MN blush.

Anyone come across Maelle? I think it launches in the UK in October. Their approach is to hook bots in by running a stealth recruitment campaign. They have an FB page called "all things gorgeous'; highly stylised, aspirational beauty shots, pics of make up, inane chat about all of that. But what is really cheeky is that they are not owning up to having an MLM behind the page but they are hoping to convert followers into bots. They are also brand parasites; using pics of brands like Mac, Stila, Geurlain to build loyalty and page image for their soon to be bots. Time to tweet those brands and ask them if they're happy with their carefully curated brands and images being used by a pyramid shaped organisation for its promotion! Both say they're a Vegan company registered with PETA - PETA says they're not.

MyCatsHateMLMtoo Wed 03-Aug-16 09:05:56

Hi YouOK, Maelle has recently been created from Utah, a few months ago. Sounds like very sneaky, underhand behaviour going on there angry.

MLMs are known for hiding their names and true intentions though so we shouldn't be surprised.

Interesting about PETA saying they're not registered. Tweet away! grin challenge them, see what happens.

dickiedavisthunderthighs Wed 03-Aug-16 09:11:27

I see exBarnbot took her post down....

cozietoesie Wed 03-Aug-16 10:00:13

Timeless Vie is the place to go for a starter. Second piece in if I recall?

Spongebobette Wed 03-Aug-16 10:35:11

I've been commenting on various posts on All things Gorgeous, mentioning that it's an MLM in disguise, but my posts have all been removed and now I'm blocked from posting.

cozietoesie Wed 03-Aug-16 10:48:12

So be it, Sponge. So be it.

It's going to be interesting to see how the parent company fares under any new FTC regime after their fall launch. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now