Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child benefit

(6 Posts)
amprev Sat 30-Jul-16 10:34:06

Hi,

Since child benefit eligibility was linked to income, we stopped claiming it because DP earns more than the maximum threshold and I have no income. I recently read on another thread something along the lines that it would still be better for us to claim and receive the benefit and then repay it, as per the rules, so that we are benefiting for pension contribution purposes. Is this the case? Also, what will this mean in real terms? Do I make the claim for benefit or does my DP?

Worryingly, it is me that looks after our household finances, but I'm really out of touch with tax codes/national insurance issues and my DP sees to pension issues.

Thanks for reading.

Emochild Sat 30-Jul-16 10:36:33

You should be claiming to protect your pension if you think pensions will exist when you are at retirement age

amprev Sun 31-Jul-16 00:39:51

Cheers - have re-applied.

scaryteacher Mon 01-Aug-16 11:20:39

You only get NI credits if your child is 12 or under. You can be registered for cb, but not receiving it.

amprev Mon 01-Aug-16 11:22:19

That seems familiar now you have said it - I seem to think this is what I did - both of our children are under 12. Thanks.

dementedpixie Wed 03-Aug-16 09:57:23

We cancelled the child benefit payment but are still registered for it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now