Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Organising finances for maternity leave this December

(10 Posts)
bumbleclat Thu 28-Jul-16 22:01:24

I'd like to get organised but I don't know where to start.
Im a teacher, I'll be entitled to occupational mat leave, although I told the head I was pregnant at 10 weeks I don't know if I need to put my maternity leave play is writing to her?

Where does one start?

Could I claim tax credits/ child benefit on top of what will quickly become meagre stat mat pay?

So confusing.

TIA

bumbleclat Thu 28-Jul-16 22:01:59

plan in not play is

imsorryiasked Thu 28-Jul-16 22:08:43

www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave
This is a good place to start.

bumbleclat Sat 30-Jul-16 07:15:32

Thank you that is really helpful. smile

Heirhelp Sun 31-Jul-16 21:19:36

You will need to speak to the burser or whoever deals with HR issues. HR will be able to give you a prediction of your pay.

user1468321775 Mon 01-Aug-16 16:37:35

If your not eligible to any benefits on your normal salary then you can't claim them for the time you are on stat maternity pay.
It is meagre, I only get stat too - but baby was planned so we managed to make sure we had some savings to cover the shortfall. I know thats not evenryone situation though.

You should advise your work in writing of your intention to take mat levae and the dates. You should do this once you get your MATB1 at 21 weeks (they'll need a copy of that too).

thatsn0tmyname Mon 01-Aug-16 16:45:23

Speak to your finance office. The midwife will give you paperwork to pass to them to get payments started. They should also advise you about weeks of leave and the options regarding how you'll receive your money. You should be entitled to Child Benefit which isn't means tested. Again, you get the form for this either online or from the midwife/ Bounty pack towards the end of your pregnancy.

1weekdown5togo Mon 01-Aug-16 16:51:35

How long are you planning to take off? Also bear in mind you might change your mind and you are entitled to do so.

I know it's obvious but I found it easy to manage for the first few months then a shock after six months but I took off a year in all. If I were you I would make sure you have a plan for how you will manage eg savings, rejig finances with your partner etc. For example I contributed less to our joint account when my salary went down.

Also looking back I bought tons of stuff I probably didn't need so try not to go over the top with your spending.

Babyroobs Mon 01-Aug-16 21:26:37

Child benefit is means tested if you or your partner earn over £50k it starts to taper off.

bumbleclat Tue 02-Aug-16 17:16:08

Thanks I will look into this bounty pack thing, I didn't know this was the proceedure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now