Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

AIBU to feel down about money?

(7 Posts)
Grimnorthener Thu 28-Jul-16 18:33:17

Anyone else?

On paper, me and my partner should be alright for money. Both work full time on decent enough wages, and only one DC. But after all our outgoings come out we are left with nothing basically, just enough for £50 a week on food.

I feel like everyone around us is off on holiday or doing fun stuff and we can't afford to do anything. I work 40 hours a week plus over time and also help out in my mums pub occasionally, I feel like all I do is work but we are never 'comfortable.'

AIBU? Tell me one day I'll be retired and on a cruise and not paying nursery fees anymore...

listsandbudgets Thu 28-Jul-16 19:19:25

One day you wont be paying nursery fees anymore. How old is your DC? Have the free 15 hours a week kicked in yet? That will help a little bit when it does if it hasn't already.

Meantime check everything - are you on the best tarrifs for utilities? Are you entitled to any tax credits that you're not already getting? Has your bank got an reward account that your not using (I discovered I should be getting £4 a month from Barclays - only £48 year but better than nothing)

QuiteLikely5 Thu 28-Jul-16 19:21:26

How much do you have coming in and how much do you have spare after essential bills are paid? Personal question but if you want help identifying things this info would help

Donthate Thu 28-Jul-16 19:25:17

I guess it is the nursery fees. Do you have a big mortgage?

Grimnorthener Thu 28-Jul-16 20:25:13

We are on £40k between us, nursery is £900 a month give or take. Mortgage is £650. A lot of our outgoing is repaying debt, silly mistakes we made when we were young and at uni that we are paying for now, also both have sizeable overdrafts we are working at paying back.

DS is 2.9 his 15 free hours start in January. I know there are people who are in much worse positions, just 2 years ago we had £19 a week to live on and I remember having to choose between toilet roll and baby wipes so have to look on the bright side I guess. I'm just being a miserable cow I think ;) at least all the bills are paid and we have a roof over our heads. It just feels rotten working so much for nothing. (It feels like.)

Lovefromhull Thu 28-Jul-16 20:30:52

I remember the nursery fees being more than the mortgage. Its really hard. I had a similar situation regarding silly decisions. I would urge you to try and keep on top of it, as we didn't and when the nursery fees stopped they just became debt repayments. Never ends. But yes- hang in there. I suspect more people live like this than facebook and its lovely holiday photos from others would suggest.

Lovefromhull Thu 28-Jul-16 20:31:58

And you're not being a miserable cow- it's boring and hard work saying no to everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now