Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Learning about investments

(4 Posts)
SpaceUnicorn Sat 23-Jul-16 20:46:21

I'm a bit of a newbie at this, but I really would like to learn about investing, particularly ethical investing. I have literally no idea how to start, or where to go to find out the information I need to know.

Are there any books/websites that would form a good introduction? Can I do it myself, or do I need a financial advisor/fund manager to act on my behalf? And is the current Brexit-limbo a really bad time to think about things like this?

TIA smile

Sunseed Sun 24-Jul-16 08:49:53

There's a thread at the top of the Investments board at the moment which was started in 2014 but the OP has just written a comprehensive update of how she's got on since asking virtually the same question, including links to sites she found most helpful.

SpaceUnicorn Sun 24-Jul-16 12:36:19

Oh thank you so much - I didn't even see there was an investments board! blush

Sunseed Sun 24-Jul-16 17:33:27

No worries smile. I'm a financial adviser so feel free to ask if there's anything you don't understand after you've had a read around the subject.

To answer your second question, you can do it yourself quite easily without using an adviser/broker. A reputable fund supermarket like the Share Centre may suit you, but you will bear all the investment risk and have no recourse to blame if you lose any of your money by doing it yourself.

Have a think about how much risk you are comfortable taking, what length of time period you are looking to invest for, and how much you can realistically afford to lose. What would be the impact of any losses on your current/future standard of living.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now