Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do CTC and CB stop when my daughter goes to Uni?

(17 Posts)
triplets Thu 21-Jul-16 05:28:17

Getting so confused with it all. Two of my trio have left education, one left in March 15 to join the Army. My other son left college in June so I have notified CTC and CB. My daughter is going to Uni in Sept so does it stop for her too? Need to get my head around it all but I have a bit of a medical scare going on atm, being fast tracked for tests so just cant concentrate. If I do lose it all its going to be a drop of income now over £260 a month. Gulp! x

grannyinwaiting Thu 21-Jul-16 06:37:36

I would think so! If she is 18 and left home you wouldn't be entitled to it .

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Thu 21-Jul-16 06:59:52

Yes, that sounds right. I will be facing this soon. My income will drop by a half.

DorynownotFloundering Thu 21-Jul-16 07:25:27

But on plus side your grocery bills & utilities will go down!

Babyroobs Thu 21-Jul-16 12:08:59

Yes of course. Once kids have left school or college or turn 18 they are considered adults, although of course some will not leave full time education until they are almost 19 depending when their birthday is. If your dd is going to Uni then she will get student loans to cover her tuition fees and living costs and this could be supplemented by a part time job. If she continues living at home then she would need to give you board money towards food , housing etc. Unfortunately people do really struggle when all the child related benefits stop as you still need to provide them with a home to come home to in the holidays and they do still needs some financial support at times. Hope things work out for you.

triplets Thu 21-Jul-16 12:18:08

Thank you for your replies, looks like I`ll need a job! x

Babyroobs Thu 21-Jul-16 14:09:51

If you have triplets ( as your user name suggests) I guess it is a particularly hard blow to lose three lots of child tax credits in a short space of time. If you had 3 kids two years apart it might be easier to adjust gradually, but in your case it must be particularly hard.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Thu 21-Jul-16 14:56:50

Have you not had to work part time at all? I've beenworking part time, I will have to get a full time or two part time jobs. I might be able to increase the hours I work now if I move to a different location. Sorry to hijack OP, does anyone know if it's possible to still get Working Tax Credits if you work 30hrs?

itfcbabe Fri 22-Jul-16 17:52:30

It will end 1st week of September, if for some reason she doesn't go to uni and either strays at school or college doing no higher than a-levels then CTC and cb will start again the following week,you do need to tell them though.

triplets Fri 22-Jul-16 23:53:12

Hi no job apart from looking after 3 the same age, and my dh who was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in 2008 and now has Parkinsons on top! Plus a poorly brother who lives on his own and doing 4 hours a week voluntary work at the trios ex primary school!

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sat 23-Jul-16 06:58:46

Yes triplets I should have phrased it better, working outside the home, you sound like you've got more than enough inside your home. Sorry I presumed you were a lone parent like I am, I read your OP incorrectly. Best wishes to you and your family with your health troubles.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sat 23-Jul-16 07:03:55

Just thinking. Would your husband be able to get disability living allowance and you carers allowance. Worth having a benefits check.

OhTheRoses Sat 23-Jul-16 07:08:46

Hello triplets (I think we might have met). As others have said, the cb will stop at the breakpoint after they leave school if going into HE. As there will be A'Levels in June, it will stop 31 August. I looked this up the other day.

I don't know about tax credits. It does look like you might need some paid work to make up the difference as I assume you might need to help dd a bit at uni too. I'm sorry life has been so tough.

triplets Sun 24-Jul-16 16:29:52

I need to get myself sorted out before I can think of doing anything. Just had a ct scan this morning, got a MRI on the 1st Aug, praying they will be all clear. I have a massive cyst in the pelvis, it contains "hard matter" so being fast tracked, very scary. What ever I have to have major surgery within weeks and then 6 weeks recovery. Not how I thought my summer would be sad Yes life has been tough, my first child died in 1994, he was 14, that's how I ended up having triplets 4 years later just before my 46th birthday!!

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Sun 24-Jul-16 17:31:22

Sorry you've been having such a rough time. Sorry for the loss of your son too. Life just doesn't seem to make sense sometimes.

Have you thought about having a benefits check, are you sure you're getting what you're entitled to?
You'll be coming up to retirement won't you, sorry if I've got my calculations wrong.

OhTheRoses Sun 24-Jul-16 19:40:31

Hopefully all will be well triplets. Am sure I met you in abt 2011. Did you come to a meet up with a friend. You were lovely. flowers

ConfuciousSaysWhat Tue 26-Jul-16 21:44:55

Yes. When mine turn 18 I'll lose CTCs CB and child maintenance. It's going to be a huge drop in income for us when that happens!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now