Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mobile phone contract

(16 Posts)
QuestionableMouse Fri 15-Jul-16 11:53:52

My hours have been reduced at work and to be honest, I'm struggling a bit. My phone contract is £45 a month. It's one of my biggest outgoings and I'm desperate to find a way to reduce it. I'm with EE if that matters. Is there anything I can do?

MorticiaLiverish Fri 15-Jul-16 12:17:45

Phone EE and ask if you can drop your tariff? It depends what the £45 is for really, are you getting loads of data/calls etc with that or are you paying for a flashy phone (less chance of lowering the cost).

notamummy10 Fri 15-Jul-16 12:21:28

Is the £45 for the tariff and phone or just the tariff but yes, ring EE up!

QuestionableMouse Fri 15-Jul-16 12:33:26

I was taken in by a flash phone. Think I'm on the lowest traffic but I'm not 100% sure. Will give them a ring on Monday because I'm heading to work shortly.

notamummy10 Fri 15-Jul-16 13:36:43

EE Customer Services is open all week:
Weekdays - 8am to 8pm (but will accept calls up until 10pm)
Weekends - 8am to 6pm (but will accept calls up until 8pm)

19lottie82 Fri 15-Jul-16 16:18:07

You can ask but mobile companies are less likely to do this nowadays because you're paying more for the actual phone from your monthly payments.

If EE won't help, Why not sell the phone and use the proceeds to buy a cheaper one (you can get a perfectly decent smart phone for under £100), and put the rest of the cash towards your bills?

QuestionableMouse Fri 15-Jul-16 20:05:34

Honestly it's not worth that much to sell. I'd get about £100 for it and then be paying for a phone I no longer have!

19lottie82 Sat 16-Jul-16 12:38:23

I'm confused as to how you're still in a contract which costs £45 a month yet the phone is worth less than £100.

What kind of phone is it?

QuestionableMouse Sat 16-Jul-16 14:15:49

It's a LG G4.

Gfplux Tue 26-Jul-16 08:58:11

How long was the original contract. They were normally for two years. If you are out of contract you can give formal 30 day notice and go sim only.

CurlyhairedAssassin Tue 26-Jul-16 19:57:17

I bought an iPhone 4s on contract a few years ago (DH did pay nearly 200 as initial payment if I recall, though.). Contract was for 2 years and then I owned the phone. As soon as I was out of contract I went to giffgaff for 7.50 a month. Did that for a couple of years. No brainer. I'll do the same when my new 6s is out of contract with EE.

If you own the phone I have no idea what you pay 45 a month for.

CurlyhairedAssassin Tue 26-Jul-16 19:59:48

Oh and if funds are an issue, never go with an automatic upgrade. Your phone will be fine on a simple giffgaff rolling monthly contract for a couple more years before you start noticing it being slow to load pages etc.

Farfromtheusual Tue 26-Jul-16 20:10:45

Normally with other network providers(not sure about EE), to reduce your contract you would technically have to "upgrade"(even though it would be a downgrade iyswim) which unless you are near the end of your contract will probably cost you more in the long run. Best to ring them and check though, they may be able to do you a cheap /early upgrade.

morebubblyplease Wed 27-Jul-16 07:25:09

My LG G4 is costing me about £35 a month with O2 and, I think, 1G of data. I spent about a month comparing deals before getting it. Can you reduce the amount of data you use? Or is the £45 the standard contract amount? I only turn my data on when I'm not near a Wi-Fi signal so I won't go above what's included. Talk to EE and good luck.

Roussette Wed 27-Jul-16 07:45:30

I can't believe what people are paying on here shock shock

Are you on some sort of Refresh thing like o2 has, is that what's adding up the cost? I bought my phone upfront so my monthly charge doesn't include paying off a phone cost.

I'm with o2 and I seem to have unlimited everything. I've never gone over on my data, calls or whatever (but like bubbly I use wifi whenever possible) I pay £16 a month and have a samsung s3. In fact it might have gone up a few pence but it's less than £17.

FrogTime Wed 27-Jul-16 17:28:17

With EE you can usually upgrade 3 months before the end of your contract, when is it up?
I pay £20 per month and have a Samsung J5. Flashy enough for me, does what I want and is as cheap as I could find without getting a crap phone that didn't suit my needs at the time. Plus I got it with carphone warehouse who at the time have me £50 currys vouchers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now