Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Will I be entitled to SMP?

(3 Posts)
SweetMummy911 Thu 14-Jul-16 10:02:23

Hello mummies!!

I've been offered a job at a new company and looking to start next month August 2016. I'm not pregnant but my husband and I are looking to start TTC this winter 2016 and the baby (best case scenario of course) should be born early summer 2017.

I know that SMP kicks in when I've been working for the employer for a minimum of 24 weeks up to the 15th week before my due date therefore by my calcs I should be entitled to SMP. Is this still the case even if I'm on probation though? Namely - would my qualifying period still count even if on probation?

Sorry if this is an obvious/silly question but I have no experience with this as with my previous pregnancy I worked there for years.

Thanks
SM

Rockchick1984 Thu 14-Jul-16 14:22:01

Basically if you are already pregnant when you start the job, then you wouldn't get SMP, you have to have been employed 26 weeks by week 25 of your pregnancy.

It makes no difference if you are in probationary period.

If the company pay more than SMP then they can put their own conditions on that, but can't offer less than statutory.

SweetMummy911 Thu 14-Jul-16 15:52:09

*Rockchick1984" Thank you so much for your reply - this makes sense and putting my mind at ease smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now