Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much on food

(5 Posts)
chaplin1409 Tue 12-Jul-16 18:10:09

Hi hope this is the right place, I was hoping to get an idea on how much other people spend on food a week. My kids are growing fast and so food spends are going up. We are a family of 6, 2 adults 2 teens and 2 preteens.

Thank you

LizKeen Tue 12-Jul-16 18:22:27

Well we are a family of four with a 7 year old and a 3 year old, so their portions are small.

At the minute we are spending £240 every 4 weeks. So £60 a week. That includes toilet roll and health and beauty type products, but not dog food as we buy that separate now.

I had been spending upwards of £300, but got it down through doing a 4 week meal plan and shopping 4 weekly too. It cuts down my time in shops, so I spend less. So the total is around the £200 mark, and then £10 per week for top ups of bread and milk etc.

DD1 gets FSM so only DH has packed lunches.

I would easily double our budget for your family set up though. Teens eat a lot! Do you usually buy brands or do you already buy supermarkets own brands for stuff?

TrippleBlessed Wed 13-Jul-16 11:36:37

We spend an average £90/wk on food (this includes toiletries, loo roll, other household items such as laundry powder, cleaning products, batteries and buying fresh meat from the local butchers). I would ideally like to be thrifty and cut it down to £80 a week.

Family of 5 - Myself, DH, DS is 8, DD is 4 and another DS 13months. I also have 2 teenage lodgers who have breakfast and evening meals. So total 7 people.

I usually buy mid range stuff/supermarket own brands, but not the Value range, I tried but really didnt like the taste or quality. I rarely buy branded stuff, unless on offer.

Hope that helps.

Camembertie Wed 13-Jul-16 11:46:16

I can do it for about £250 a month shopping at Aldi/Asda (me, DH, 3 primary/seconday age DCs) but I do it much more comfortably with many more interesting things for about £400 a month from Ocado. When I have finished paying debt off I aim to increase to about £130 a week and will include some wine and more meat (and more ethically raised meat too)

Desmondo2016 Fri 15-Jul-16 13:58:21

Probably about 80-100 per week but that's with no consideration given to a budget I could probably do it on 60 but I like treats and luxuries lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now