Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bank account for a university student

(8 Posts)
MrsK Tue 05-Jul-16 16:03:48

Hi,

I've got my nephew staying with me, he lives in France but will start university over here in September. I said I'd take him to open a bank account.

Can anyone recommend one, ideally that might offer vouchers or discounts for students.

Thank you

scaryteacher Wed 06-Jul-16 19:05:56

You may find he has to go with your bank as he has a non UK address, and you can 'introduce' him.

We has to do this when we sent ds back to UK for sixth form, despite having a BFPO address. The bank wanted utility bills in his name. I pointed out I didn't make my sixth former pay for the electricity, and as it was taken straight from dh's salary (MQ abroad), then we couldn't provide that. As we had banked there forever, they 'allowed' ds to have an account with them.

MrsK Sun 10-Jul-16 14:46:06

Thank you, we went to Santader. They said he could do it when he receives his offer letter

pastaofplenty Thu 14-Jul-16 21:20:12

MrsK be very wary of Santander - DD was in exactly the same situation and was told that she could get a student account once her Bac results came through and her offer was confirmed. Instead they did a credit check (more common that you think for student accounts) and told her that she wasn't eligible for student account (and goodies that go with it) as she failed credit rating as had never had UK bank account and wasn't on electoral roll.

MrsK Thu 14-Jul-16 22:57:48

Thanks Pasta, I hadn't even thought about a credit check. This may not turn out to be as straightforward as I thought 😏

Seacrets Fri 15-Jul-16 17:09:30

DS1 got Santander123 student account. It's only available when your place is confirmed. He got a free railcard and gets interest on balance up to £2000. It was by far the best student account around.
He has zero credit rating as he once applied for a credit card by mistake.
pasta I wonder whether your DD applied for the credit card?

SueDunome Fri 15-Jul-16 23:09:21

ds will be starting uni in September. This week he has received some student ID numbers from UCAS which UCAS claim are sufficient for him to open a student bank account. Is this correct, or would he be wasting his time trying to do this before offer day? Thanks.

fussychica Sat 16-Jul-16 10:06:51

DS went with Santander. Still with them post university. So far, so good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now