Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

school leaver at 18 - what benefits?

(4 Posts)
RhodaBull Fri 01-Jul-16 14:14:33

Ds has left school. He has a job for 2 days a week and is obviously searching for other jobs, but early days.

What is his position regarding benefits? He is not aiming for long-term NEETdom, but he does have to take a fair few prescription drugs and I wondered if he has to pay for these straightaway? Also if he wants to do a further educational course, does he have to pay full fees now?

Thanks for any pointers.

specialsubject Sat 02-Jul-16 10:44:05

As an aside - if he does get hit with prescription charges, buy an annual pre pay card. If it is more than one prescription a month it is worth it.

justjuanmorebeer Sat 02-Jul-16 15:14:41

When is he 19?

I think the only thing he would be able to claim is JSA however as he has a job already even only .4 he won't be able to.

I don't think he will be classed as a NEET after he is 19 anyway.

He could look into the 24+ advanced education loans which are lowering the eligible age this year to 19. You can use these to pay for training but not towards university level, the normal student loans would need to be used for this.

justjuanmorebeer Sat 02-Jul-16 15:15:47

In terms of the prescriptions if he was a full time student he would not have to pay. Same for council tax there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now