Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Income Support/Maternity Allowance help

(1 Post)
ApplesOnAStick Wed 29-Jun-16 14:23:24

I'm after some advice on entitlements after getting nowhere with JobCentre, ACAS and CAB

I'm a single mum of 2 and currently pregnant. I receive housing benefit, council tax benefit and child/working tax credits. I was signed off sick before Christmas for stress and anxiety and am about to come to the end of my 28 weeks paid SSP. I'm trying to figure out what I do next. Can anyone tell me if I would be entitled to income support if I handed in my notice at work and if so whether it would be paid from the date my employment ended or whether I would have to wait a period of time? If so, any idea how long?

Also, I can't work out if I would be entitled to maternity allowance. Although I have worked for my employer for long enough I know I wouldn't get SMP as I am below the average weekly earning to qualify. But no one can tell me whether being on sick leave counts towards the number of weeks I need to work to qualify for maternity allowance. I need to be able to claim this as my partner will be moving in before baby is due so I would lose other benefits but would like to know I will have some income of my own rather than have to rely on him completely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now