Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Company trading but submitting dormant accounts

(4 Posts)
Run247 Tue 21-Jun-16 16:32:38

My husband and I are the owner of a fitness studio and ar looking to engage a fitness instructor to run a couple of classes per week. After narrowing the last few candidates down to a shortlist, we thought it wise to use the government company check web service to check the background of these instructors' companies, before making a final choice.

One instructor is well established Incorporated in 2013 and we know that they run a high volume internet web store relating to fitness, as well as running fitness classes. However, their company has been filed as "Dormant" for the entire duration of its incorporation.

What reason would somebody do this? My wife really liked this instructor but we want to be sure that we engage somebody who is doing everything above board.

When they invoices us after we let them run a trial class the invoice said "abc trading as xyz" - and company Xyz is the name of their webstore, and the company we used to search Company check.

What reasons would someone incorporate and run as a limited company, clearly submit invoices from that company, but then file them as dormant?

Run247 Tue 21-Jun-16 16:33:15

My wife = my husband !!

IceMaiden73 Tue 21-Jun-16 18:38:46

They could just have the company to protect the name in case they want it in the future, and currently be trading as a sole trader / partnership

Badbadbunny Tue 21-Jun-16 19:47:23

Do they use the word "limited" or "ltd" on their website or their invoices? If so, it's a problem. If not, as Ice says above, they've probably just formed a limited company to protect the name and are actually trading as a sole trader or partnership. The devil's in the detail, are they using the word limited?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now