Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage fraud/ bridging loan?

(4 Posts)
NatureBeetle Thu 09-Jun-16 23:03:48

I have recently sold my house of three years and moved into rented accommodation as my circumstances changed and I moved out of the area.

The first mortgage on the property was a 2 year fixed and I moved to another 2 year fixed after this, meaning I left that mortgage one year in and paid the relevant fees to leave.

I am now looking at buying another house in the new area but have been advised that the banks will not look favourably on me as I left the last mortgage early and as I made some money/ did some updating to the property that I would only be able to get a bridging loan or commercial mortgage for my next property.

It has been insinuated that I used part of the second two year fixed mortgage fraudulently as a short term loan to fund my renovation business (I decorated and updated the kitchen over 3 years) .

Is this advice correct? I am so worried that I will be seen as a bad option for banks and I obviously don't want a bridging loan instead of a mortgage for my home!

cozietoesie Fri 10-Jun-16 10:07:58

'Insinuated' wink

Have you actually been to the lenders to seek another mortgage?

Rockchick1984 Fri 10-Jun-16 11:49:07

Absolute load of rubbish, who on earth has advised you that???

BarbaraofSeville Fri 10-Jun-16 12:33:53

That sounds like a load of crap. Did you live in the house at the time?

Putting a kitchen in and doing a bit of decorating in a house that you live in is what many people do normally, not a 'renovation business'. In fact you're often seen as a bit odd in some circles if you don't rush to put in new kitchens and bathrooms and decorate everything in sight on moving in to a new home.

And people's circumstances change so sometimes they have to leave earlier than planned, which is why it is possible to get out of a fixed rate deal by paying ripoff fees.

If you had been running a 'renovation business' it would have been a bit stupid to take a 2 year fixed rate deal when you would have planned/hoped/needed to flip the property faster than that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now