Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Egg loan ppi; is this too long ago?

(10 Posts)
minxthemanx Tue 07-Jun-16 20:17:47

Had a loan with egg, probably about 1997 for 3 or 4 years. Have no paperwork, as stupidly shredded everything before we knew about mis sold ppi. Am fairy sure I was talked into paying protection. Is this too long ago to be worth a claim? And how would I find details of loan; my address and bank account are the same, but can't imagine bank keep statements from this far back?

Teddy1970 Tue 07-Jun-16 20:29:51

Hi There,
I'm just going through claiming back some PPI and I'm doing it through a company called The Fair Trade Practice, they charge 25%, but I just couldn't be bothered to do it myself as we've had quite a few loans and credit card over the years! You will find it cheaper to do it yourself and you get to keep all of the money owed to you. I don't think 1997 is too far back as I was speaking to someone from the above company earlier and they said they've just got money back for someone as far back as 1963! If you get on Moneysavingexpert.co.uk. I think there is a form you can download to get the ball rolling and it's very straightforward. Don't worry about not having paperwork, it's very common not to have any when it's that far back. Good luck!

MorticiaLiverish Tue 07-Jun-16 20:53:53

You will need to find some details or account numbers if u can. You can send an SAR to the company that took over Egg but I doubt that they would have any records from that far back. If neither your nor Egg can find any proof then there is nothing you can do.

minxthemanx Tue 07-Jun-16 20:55:15

Thanks, I did wonder about doing it through a company as I def had Debenhams and principles store cards, which might be worth investigating. But was put off by the 30% most companies take. That said, I don't have much time to do all this myself. Are the company you've mentioned helpful?

OutToGetYou Tue 07-Jun-16 20:58:13

I got mortgage PPI back from 1996, with zero paperwork, so I say give it a go (and don't use a company, why would you want to lose 25%!).

moodyblues Tue 07-Jun-16 21:06:16

Hi, we didn't have any paperwork or email trail but we have just received two pretty decent payouts from Canada Square operations who have taken over the accounts from Egg. We only had addresses and rough dates. So give it a try!

minxthemanx Tue 07-Jun-16 21:11:54

That's interesting, I've sent an email to an address I found on moneysavingexpert, I think it's the Canada Square operations. I'm not optimistic about hearing back; I gave them my address and rough date of loan, asking them to give me the details of the loan. Would it be better to send Canada Square a sar request? Is that how you started?

HisNameWasPrinceAndHeWasFunky Tue 07-Jun-16 22:14:57

MSE provides a step by step method to claim. Or they used to. Doing it yourself is a piece of cake.

I think they lifted the time limit restrictions on claiming so go for it.

moodyblues Tue 07-Jun-16 23:10:14

DH did it. He said he printed a form he found on MSE then posted it to Canada Square. He only filled in basic info.

We had had loans and a cc with Egg.

Teddy1970 Wed 08-Jun-16 09:26:45

The company are very good, but to be honest if you've only got the one PPI to sort out then do it yourself, the only reason we're using them is because we've had an awful lot of credit cards and loans over the years and it's a bit of a pickle to sort out, but If we only had the one PPI to claim back I certainly wouldn't be paying someone else to do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now