Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone with any knowledge of bonus during maternity?

(4 Posts)
Annie105 Thu 02-Jun-16 07:35:14

Hi all I work for a medium sized firm and have been totally committed there and a "top performer" for 10 years. I'll be on maternity leave in November when our annual appraisals (for the year you have just had) and discretionary bonus are paid to every staff member. I am also due a contractural bonus in March 2017.

I've been trying to sort out for the last 6! weeks what happens when I'm on maternity (they are woefully unprepared when it comes to dealing with these matters and told me I can't have paid KIT days) and I've been told I won't be entitled to my review at same time as my colleagues and I will not receive a discretionary bonus (which we all get every year) either until I return from maternity. I've also just received an email confirming my contractural bonus will be pro rata for the time I'm on maternity, which is fair enough , but that this too also won't be paid until I return.

I'm really upset by this. I receive no contractural maternity pay, only SMP, and was relying on these small bonus being paid to help ease the financial burden of not having my salary during maternity. I also hoped that keeping my review at same time as my colleagues would mean I was able to try and prove I'm committed to coming back, be considered equally for the year I've just had and hopefully given or at least the chance to fight for a small rise. I have already confirmed I'm planning to take 7 months max off as my boss has been worried about how she will cope without me. Without these bonuses I will have to go back in 4.

Anyway in a nutshell does anyone know if the above is legal? Who should I approach for advice?? Thank you

RNBrie Thu 02-Jun-16 07:41:02

You legally accrue bonuses for OML (ordinary mat leave) which is the first 6 months. But not AML (additional maternity leave) which is anything over 6 months.

My firm have always done my salary review and bonus at the same time as all of my colleagues (3 mat leaves!) But as I've taken 12 months leave each time, my bonus is pro rated by essentially 50%.

You should probably repost this in Employment and hope flowery sees it, she's amazing on employment law but my suspicion is that your company are discriminating against you which is illegal.

Bambooshoots14 Thu 02-Jun-16 07:53:08

I got my bonus pro rata. So if you've worked 6 months you'd get half the bonus you'd of otherwise got

Annie105 Thu 02-Jun-16 09:34:01

Ladies thanks for taking the time to respond. Seems likely that they are in the wrong then! I'll repost as you suggest too. Hopefully I'll be able to work this out as I'm very worried about the impact this is going to have on what should be a time when I shouldn't have to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now