Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Any experience of getting child maintenance via direct pay?

(8 Posts)
dulcefarniente Tue 31-May-16 09:30:42

Just that really. Xh isn't paying the money on the agreed dates under the family arrangement and I'm looking at alternatives.

concertplayer Tue 31-May-16 21:54:24

The CMS (formally the CSA) will accept an application from you.
The Gingerbread site will have more info as a new system in place
(yet again)
Nb They cannot usually assess/collection retrospectively so it all
starts from the time you apply.

dulcefarniente Tue 31-May-16 23:13:30

Thank you - I'll check it out.

simplydivine05 Wed 01-Jun-16 16:24:18

I gave my ex the option of direct pay and he didn't pay that either. I have collect and pay now. Costs him 20% extra and me 2%. Having not had a penny for 18 months (and even then I was getting £1.67 a week) I don't miss that 2% to be honest.

dulcefarniente Thu 02-Jun-16 09:25:17

Simply the website made it sound like the direct pay is set up through the employer so it is paid to you before salary is paid. Is that not the case then? How does it work?

Fourormore Thu 02-Jun-16 09:27:23

Direct Pay is where the CMS get the NRPs income from HMRC and the NRP pays you directly by a set date.
If the NRP fails to make those payments, they will be moved to Collect and Pay, which incurs the extra 20% fee.

dulcefarniente Sat 04-Jun-16 11:01:51

Thanks Four that clarifies it a lot. Do they need a NI number to do that?

Fourormore Sat 04-Jun-16 11:13:18

You won't need to provide the NI number yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now