Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Kids' Birthday presents

(4 Posts)
Windsorian Fri 27-May-16 09:27:26

In my dc's school it is very common to have birthday parties so I am faced with 40 parties each a year (i have 2 children). Usually I buy presents online and I do a budget of £10 each party as a ceiling.

Lately it's becoming the norm to pool in for presents and the going rate is £15 - 20. Apart from the financial aspect which would set me back at least £200 a year, I do not agree with pooling for birthday presents for young children because I believe they should be taught to be grateful for any present they are given.

Am I rude if I go my own way and not pool or am I being unreasonable?

birdsdestiny Fri 27-May-16 09:41:33

No not at all rude to go your own way, just say you enjoy choosing something personal or some such excuse. Just being really nosy how on earth do you have 40 parties a year? You can't have 40 children in a class and most people don't do whole class parties. Have the parents got into some sort of crazy party competitiveness?
Also this kind of thing drops off by the time they are in year 3/4 so you won't have to ensure it forever.

birdsdestiny Fri 27-May-16 09:42:23

Or even endure it forever.

BugPlaster Fri 27-May-16 09:47:25

Do your own thing. We have a similar thing for teacher presents at Christmas/ end of year and I have made choice early (DD in reception) to do my own thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now