Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Dla and working full time

(5 Posts)
cheekymummy89 Wed 25-May-16 15:22:48

Hi there my dh has been offered a new job working full time starting Monday. Which I am so pleased for him don't get me wrong. We're both in a panicked now though he's epileptic so has been out of work for almost 10 years and has been on long term sick claiming dla care and mobility components plus esa. Now we have just done a benefit calculator online and it has told us we would be £400 per month worse off as we would lose all benefits he's entitled to. We don't know about the dla until he speaks to them as that is nothing to do with being unemploymed and is paid for his illness. We have a child together plus one on the way. Does anyone have any idea of if he would still be entitled to this benefit at all or if he would lose it? I've always been he worker but due to serious issues at work I had to leave which left me relying on his money. But we're still worse off with him working I just don't get it. How can someone be worse off working than being on benefits it just isn't right. He'd worked all his life before being diagnosed and now it feels like a kick in the teeth.

Babyroobs Wed 25-May-16 15:45:43

DLA will not be affected by him working as it's not a means tested benefit. He will obviously lose ESA. You may still be entitled to tax credits as a couple depending on your joint income and this will go up when you have your second child. My brother is epileptic and doesn't claim any DLA or anything , but I guess it depends on the severity of the epilepsy.

concertplayer Thu 02-Jun-16 08:38:45

It is great news that he has at last been offered a job. Being at work
increases your feeling of self-worth, gives you contact with others
and importantly once you have a job it is much easier to get another one
So many people today seem to find however that by the time they have
paid their living expenses there is nothing much left over
The reason is that our taxes/Ni are used to fund services etc and as we
have such services they cost. Even then there are deficits in many
Councils NHS Trusts etc
Another good thing about working is that employers can offer benefits
such as pension contributions, maternity/paternity pay, childcare
vouchers and so on so do check this out

alltouchedout Thu 02-Jun-16 08:44:09

DLA is not a means tested benefit and not related to employment status.
Have you done a calculation taking your dc into account? Made sure you've looked at tax credits, child benefit, housing support?

RedHelenB Sat 04-Jun-16 12:10:47

working full time will mean you are better off although maybe not as much as you think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now