Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Signature Loan or Credit Card?

(4 Posts)
KindraLamb Thu 19-May-16 23:10:00

Hi, guys! I'd like to help my Dad in deciding whether to apply for a signature loan or just use his credit card for our family trip in Vegas and Europe this year. I know credit card is more convenient but I am thinking that the interest rate may be higher compare to a personal or signature loan, am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong. I am not really sure what's so good about applying for a personal loan. But he said that's what he prefers to be able to accommodate all our travel expenses. Plus, he wants to share something also for my sister's CS operation since it is very expensive. What's your suggestion? Thanks.

AgentProvocateur Thu 19-May-16 23:31:49

My suggestion is to book a holiday he can afford without a loan or credit card. Otherwise he'll still be paying for it this time next year. Madness.

IceMaiden73 Sat 21-May-16 07:26:07

Tell him to save the money this year and pay for the holiday in full next year

Why would you book 2 holidays that you can't afford

Holidays are a luxury not a necessity

KindraLamb Fri 27-May-16 15:11:23

Thanks, guys. I actually share the sentiment as you but knowing my dad, he isn't likely to be persuaded from the options he's already set which again are to either get a personal loan or use his cc for the vacay. *sigh

I guess I can only help him by choosing the "lesser evil" between the two and chipping in for the trip so he'd borrow a smaller amount from a credit union that according to him offers an irresistible signature loan offer. Most likely, I'd also help him pay it off LoL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now