Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

DRO and savings. I'd like to start saving but I'm unsure whether I'm actually allowed.

(3 Posts)
mamasaddo Thu 12-May-16 15:43:27

I applied and received a Debt Relief Order over a year ago now. It means I am debt and (relatively) worry free. However, I would definitely like to get a mortgage in the not too distant future. I am extremely careful with money and have actually managed to start saving a little bit. So, basically can anyone tell me whether I'm actually allowed to save after a DRO? I know it stays on my file for 6 years but I am unsure about and struggling to find info on the period inbetween...

softcookies Fri 13-May-16 13:53:18

After discharge from a DRO you are free from your debts completely, so there is no reason why you shouldn't start saving. I went bankrupt and once my 12 months was up I was able to build up my savings and also inherited a property. As long as it is after the official discharge then you are fine.

It will be difficult to get a mortgage before the 6 years is up but not impossible, some lenders will consider it but best to go through a broker. I managed to get a mortgage 4 years after bankruptcy but the rates weren't the best to begin with, and I needed a big deposit.

mamasaddo Wed 01-Jun-16 00:33:54

I've JUST seen your response, I didn't think anyone was going to get back to me. Thank you so much, really appreciate it. It's helped clear things up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now