Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

refurbished MacBook faulty- can I get money back?

(5 Posts)
ooharmehearties Sat 07-May-16 18:55:43

Arg, I am such a numpty . Took out a loan to buy a refurbished MacBook Pro from a proper dealer.
When I got it home it was sluggish and kept losing connection. Took it back, they said it needed more memory, so I shelled out for that. It was still slow and rubbish, so have been using my phone and it's been languishing unused until I could find time to take back.
Meantime my friend took it to the apple shop and it turns out the hard drive is on its last legs. I have written evidence and photo documentation. But I didn't buy, and wasn't offered, an extended warranty. In fact it was never mentioned and I assumed it was standard 1 year. No, it's 30 days and has run out.
I am a single mum, struggling to run my business and I can't absorb this loss.
Do I have grounds to get a refund?
Fuming angry

BertieBotts Sat 07-May-16 19:04:57

Yes you do. Any item you purchase must be fit for purpose. It doesn't matter if it's under warranty or not, it should be usable for a reasonable period of time.

BertieBotts Sat 07-May-16 19:06:22

www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

BertieBotts Sat 07-May-16 19:13:12

Relevant bits from link:

If something's faulty, returning it speedily is crucial.

Within 30 days.

You can usually still get a full refund due to what's called your 'short-term right to reject'. After that only expect exchange, repair or part-refund.

Within six months.

The shop must prove goods weren't faulty when they sold 'em – after that, you must prove they were.
These time limits define when you should take faulty goods back. They're totally separate to the "reasonable length of time" bit in the Sad Fart rules, which define what counts as faulty in the first place.

What's 'reasonable'? It depends on the situation. Imagine asking a sensible friend's opinion. If you asked "is it reasonable for a £2,000 plasma telly to break after nine months?", they'd probably say no. But it probably is reasonable for a 50p torch to conk out in nine months.

If you take longer than 30 days to return the item, you'll have to choose between a repair or a replacement. The retailer can veto either though if it's impossible to carry out a repair or the cost of a replacement is much higher than that of a repair.

If the item is still dodgy after just one attempt at a repair or replacement, the repair or replacement isn’t possible or it hasn’t been carried out quickly enough you’re then entitled to ask for a refund - this could be the full amount within the first six months, or [later] is likely to be a partial refund.

>> That's copy and pasted, I'd say from that, you can take it back and say it's faulty because of the hard drive with your proof. They should then replace the hard drive for you or swap the macbook out. It sounds like it might be too late to get a refund unless they are being a pain about the repair, but you should get a working macbook out of the whole situation.

ooharmehearties Sat 07-May-16 19:20:22

Thankyou, I realise I have been massively overcharged as well. I'd rather have a refund and buy one from elsewhere as I don't trust them. I'll try it anyway. But at least I know they'll have to replace or repair- I just don't trust them to do a good job. They also said it was slow because I wasn't close enough to the router!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now