Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity pay confusion.

(16 Posts)
Peanut684 Sat 07-May-16 08:19:00

Hi all,
I'm really hoping someone can help clear this up for me. We are planning our 2ND child and I like to have a rough idea of what our funds will be like whilst I'm on mat leave. My company offer -
6 weeks at full pay including SMP
20 weeks at half pay including SMP
13 weeks SMP(this bit I understand)
Does this mean I get full pay of my wages for 6 weeks with no SMP or does it mean I get SMP & they top that up with my wages to make it full pay & the same for the 20 weeks; Do I get 20 weeks of half my wages no SMP or do I get the SMP & half my wage to top it up? I hope this makes sense. I'm really confused as what I would get!
If anyone can give an example that would be a bonus. smile
Thank you
Xx

HelenF35 Sat 07-May-16 08:21:01

It will be smp topped up to full/half your normal wage.

HainaultViaNewburyPark Sat 07-May-16 08:22:00

You get 6 weeks full pay, 20 weeks half pay and then 13 weeks SMP.

Peanut684 Sat 07-May-16 08:28:23

OK. So say for example I earn £700 a month. I will get for 6 weeks the SMP which is around £556 a month then my employer will top that up to make the £700 then for the 20 weeks I'll go the £556 a month SMP and I'll get half my wage added on top sowould be £906?which doesn't make sense as is more! This is confusing lol I've not worked for a company who do enhanced maternity pay before.

Littlemissjt Sat 07-May-16 08:31:40

If the smp is greater than your half pay you'll get that. You won't get full/half as well as smp. It's smp plus top up to make it equal your full or half pau.

TotalPerspectiveVortex Sat 07-May-16 08:32:32

You wouldn't get half your wage on top, it would be like in the first example, SMP and then whatever the difference is between SMP & half your normal wage. In your example of £700 per month normal wage it doesn't really work as half pay would be less than SMP, so presumably in that case you would just get SMP.

sleeplessbunny Sat 07-May-16 08:37:04

Usually the company just tops up smp until your total take home matches full or half pay. But don't expect to understand your payslip, the calcs they did left me very confused! As long as the overall amount is right I wouldn't worry.

Also, if you currently get childcare vouchers, make sure you don't sign off the scheme during mat leave. The employer can only deduct the amount from their pay to you, NOT from smp so when you are on smp only they become free to you. Most employers don't advertise this, obviously.

Peanut684 Sat 07-May-16 08:47:06

You have been so helpful & think I finally yet it! I think it was the 20 week bit I was stumped as how I was reading it I was either getting more or less of what half my wages would be & that didn't seem right. As only getting half (£350) would have made the plans a back burner lol.
Thank you all xx

Mummyme87 Mon 09-May-16 06:45:38

I got 8weeks full pay with no SMP, 18weeks half pay with SMP and 13weeks SMP. It sounds like you will be the same

Peanut684 Mon 09-May-16 10:09:19

Thank you. Although for the 20 weeks I think I'll just get SMP as it says including. So if I get the SMP & half my wages I'll be earning more than my standard wage(although that would be lovely lol)

InTheSandPit Mon 09-May-16 10:17:29

No, you will get SMP, and they will add wages to make it up to full pay initially, and then half pay, then just SMP.
Ignore what it says about SMP included. That's trying to make it clear you won't get pay and SMP.

6 weeks at full pay
20 weeks at half pay
13 weeks SMP

originalusernamefail Mon 09-May-16 10:18:18

I was always told I would never make more than my normal wage which sounds fair enough I suppose grin. My breakdown is similar to yours and this is what I get (rounded up for example)

Full pay = £2000
Half pay (£1000) + SMP (£550) = £1500
SMP only = £550

InTheSandPit Mon 09-May-16 10:18:29

Ah, unless half pay is less than SMP, at which point you will get however much SMP you are entitled to.

Mummyme87 Mon 09-May-16 10:27:05

Yes if you earn less than SMP and pay combined they will just make it up.

I ended up have 3/4 pay for 18weeks as this was SMP and half of my wage

Primaryteach87 Mon 09-May-16 10:31:55

As others have said when the employer says half your salary or full salary they will use the SMP amounts to reach that percentage. So for a salary of £700pcm you would get £700 then after 6 weeks, £350.

Peanut684 Mon 09-May-16 10:49:52

Yeah. Saying my basic salary is £700 a month half of that is £350 so with that on top of the SMP I'll be on more so for the 20+the 13 weeks so I'm guessing I will only receive the SMP. I don't believe they can just pay me £350 a month as that is below the SMP & wouldn't turn be an enhanced maternity pay scheme. Thanks all for your help. It's really appreciated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now