Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

letters from debt collectors.

(8 Posts)
Feelingsolow12345 Tue 03-May-16 12:18:45

I keep getting letters from debt collectors for someone who hasn't lived at my address since 2008. I've phoned them up telling them this but I still keep receiving them. what can I do to stop them as this person is now being grumpy threatened with debt collectors and people can come to my house. I have a new born and I don't need this stress.

ListenToYourHeart Tue 03-May-16 13:00:42

I had this at an old address it got v.annoying as it was the previous tenants debt.

Firstly I rang them, they said we will make a note on the file, yet they still kept sending them, so every time I received one I put it back in the post and simply wrote 'person not at this address anymore' I kept doing it and a few of the companies gave up.

One of them however sent a bailiff round who was extremely rude and intimating however once I showed him my tenancy agreement which stated I only lived at the address that was the end of it.

Don't let it stress you out, you know its not your debt so you won't be liable for it.

PatriciaHolm Tue 03-May-16 13:02:43

If you know the persons new address then tell companies that? Do you know the person?

Feelingsolow12345 Tue 03-May-16 14:10:35

they said they'd put a note on the file which obviously they have ignored them.

unfortunately I don't know a forwarding address neither does the estate agents. it feels like the estate agents aren't helping either cause I've spoke to them too.

Feelingsolow12345 Tue 03-May-16 14:52:54

I have just been to the estate agents. they opened the letters and found out how much the last tenant is in debt and phone numbers to contact the debt collectors. they said they can't do nothing till the landlord is back from holiday which isn't for another 3 weeks so I asked if I could sort it out. they let me as I went mad in the office cause they didn't help the last time. so I'm now on the phone waiting for them to answer the phones

Ilikewinetoomuch Tue 03-May-16 17:31:38

Opening other peoples personal mail?! Thats illegal! This person is obviously in debt and you dont know their personal circumstances etc. Simply write across the envelope unknown at address and put back in the letterbox.

annielostit Tue 03-May-16 18:22:08

If you pay council tax keep a copy handy for the baliffs. Send all mail back with not at this address. We had this for years. It does go away.

Dancingtothemusicoftime Wed 04-May-16 10:42:03

We had this after we returned to live in our own home following a spell abroad with work. The tenants who had rented our house always paid their rent so we had no idea they had financial difficulties but we have subsequently dealt with three year's worth of multiple debt agencies' letters, bailiff visits and High Court enforcement officers insisting we prove that we are not them.

It has been a complete nightmare and is still ongoing. I know where the tenants are - they moved to the USA where she regularly Tweets about their fantastic life there angry - but the debt agencies I contact tell me that until they personally contact them with their new details, our home is the address associated with them. We were advised to write to Experian requesting that a Notice of Disassociation is placed on the shits former tenants' file but even this has not stopped the problem entirely, probably because debt agencies are still relying on former data of their whereabouts.

OP you must insist that the Landlord writes to Experian informing them that the debtor no longer lives at the address. It won't stop the problem entirely but it means that you can tell debt agencies that one is in place.

Incidentally, we were advised by a lawyer that it is not illegal to open such mail if you are the lawful resident and have reason to believe that your ability to enjoy the peace of your home may be affected by the actions/inactions of a previous resident which has prompted the letter. And like an earlier writer, do also return the mail to the sender. Tedious I know but it too eventually reduces the volume of letters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now