Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

private tenants need advice please

(8 Posts)
treacle84 Tue 03-May-16 10:09:06

Hi everyone.

Me and my husband are in the process of buying our first house. We are currently renting privately. We pay our rent on the 2nd of each month in advance. We haven't had a confirmed date of completion yet so I haven't given notice to my landlord yet. My question is. If I give a months notice say on may 15th to June 15th but rent is due on the 2nd June. Can we pay part rent up until 15th? Rather than a whole month? I hope I haven't confused you! Haha

Thanks

mmmminx Tue 03-May-16 10:11:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mmmminx Tue 03-May-16 10:14:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

treacle84 Tue 03-May-16 10:19:22

Hi mmmminx

I'm not bothered about paying the extra 2 weeks so I can clean etc. We are only moving 10 doors away so it'll be handy. We don't use an agency and our landlord lives in Ireland so I could use that as a bargaining tool. We have been good tenants so I hope he'll see that and do us a favour

specialsubject Tue 03-May-16 13:58:24

Your legal notice is one month. You can negotiate less but only by agreement.

Contact the landlord. Where he lives is irrelevant. Normal people are good tenants, favours are not compulsory.

KP86 Tue 03-May-16 14:09:38

If you give a month's notice from 15 May, then you only owe two week's rent from 2 June to 15 June and that's all you should pay. You are still giving a month's notice - UNLESS your contact says the month's notice needs to be from the due date of your rent payment.

cozietoesie Tue 03-May-16 14:18:05

I'd pay the whole rent for the relief of having a clean place to come home to for that little longer. Buying a place can be fractious at time and a couple of weeks leeway is not really that much at all when you consider cleaning and organising.

Good luck with the new place. smile

cozietoesie Tue 03-May-16 14:18:45

times

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now