Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Just been asked to leave my job-can anyone advise about benefits?

(7 Posts)
ConkersDontScareSpiders Thu 28-Apr-16 13:14:23

Hi
I've just been sacked basically-totally fair enough-started the post 5 weeks ago and due to a highly stressful personal situation that I have been trying and failing to deal with at the same time- I haven't performed well. As I was in my probation period and the employer doesn't know me well enough to give me the benefit of the doubt they have said they don't think I'm the correct person for the role.
I am now panicking hugely about how I am going to afford mortgage and bills and to support two DD's.
Exh currently pays maintenance that covers the mortgage bar about 100 quid. Does anyone know about job seekers allowance or any of that? I've never claimed anything before bar working tax credits so totally clueless... Not sure if I'll be able to get another job very quickly and even if I do its unlikely it will pay me what my current one does.
Thanks in advance.

Babyroobs Thu 28-Apr-16 13:43:33

You will need to claim Job seekers allowance if you are going to be actively seeking another job. I think you can apply online. Also you will get child tax credits, if you are already getting child tax credits then you need to ring them to tell them your situation has changed and that your income for 2016-17 is likely to be less.Your child tax creidt payments should then increase but it can take some time to sort. If you are out of work for any length of time then you may be able to get the interest paid on your mortgage but I think you only get help with this after a certain length of time, possibly ? 13 weeks. If you are going to be unable to pay your mortgage then speak to your lender and keep them updated. If your youngest child is under 5 then you may be able to claim Income support rather than JSA.

InternationalHouseofToast Thu 28-Apr-16 13:50:42

I may be wrong but I think there's a period of a few months when you won't get benefits if you've been sacked. Have you been properly sacked, or just failed your probation so the employer has decided you're not for them?

ConkersDontScareSpiders Thu 28-Apr-16 14:33:58

Failed my probation. I wondered about that too...

bluecarpet Thu 28-Apr-16 14:45:18

have you ever overpaid on your mortgage in the past? if so you should be able to take a payment holiday until you've "used up" that overpayment.

PingPongBat Fri 29-Apr-16 08:26:37

There is a system of sanctions for those who are seen as contributing towards their lack of a job, but they are supposed to take each case on its merits, and unless you were sacked for misconduct etc then you should be able to argue that you are not sanctioned.

The waiting period for help with mortgage interest has just gone back up to 39 weeks sadit used to be 13 before 5 April this year. But make sure that you mention you have a mortgage when you claim, in case the worst happens and you have to rely on it at some stage in the future.

You should also claim council tax support from your local authority, as well as JSA and informing HMRC about your drop in in come for tax credits. Child maintenance is not counted as income for benefit purposes.

Good luck smile

penisbeakerlaminateflooringetc Fri 29-Apr-16 08:29:51

Check the entitledto.co.uk website

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now