Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage advice

(9 Posts)
Sammy0511 Sun 24-Apr-16 16:14:29

I need some advice please. My ex defaulted on a couple of payments on our joint mortgage. They were soon paid and the house is now sold subject to contract. I want to buy a house with my son once sale is complete and i have enough money for a deposit, will the defaults affect my chances of getting a mortgage?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 25-Apr-16 09:52:32

Have you checked your credit score online?, you might be eligible for a free trial with Experian etc. That'll tell you if it was late enough to register as a default.

Don't forget to cancel the free trial though or its £15 a month.

Sammy0511 Mon 25-Apr-16 17:49:01

Ive looked at Experian and i can add a paragraph to my credit report explaining mitigating circumstances (he lost his job and neglected to tell me!) I can also fill in a form disassociating him from myself financially (although i wasnt stupid enough to marry him so any of his other debts are his entirely ) but it seems pointlless doing that until sale of house is complete. It would only be the 2 late payments that would go against me. All seems so unfair since I've never been in debt and i have never even owned a credit card. Thank you for your help, looks as though Experian may be the way to try and resolve this.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 25-Apr-16 18:11:59

Ok, Google the email address for the CEO of the mortgage provider & ask them if they can take the default off YOUR credit file.

Worst they can say is no & it's free to do.

I had a default taken off Dhs file years ago by doing that.

Sammy0511 Mon 25-Apr-16 18:31:55

Thank you. I'd not thought of doing that. Its definitely worth a try and as you say, they can only say no. Hopefully they will have sympathy for my situation as there are extreme circumstances surrounding it all. Too much to go into details here but i shall google it now while i have the time. Fingers crossed!!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 25-Apr-16 18:39:26

They'll be able to see both your credit files and will hopefully take pity on you.

I financially seperated dh from his mad ex gf but you'll have to wait until the house is sold and the mortgage paid.

Sammy0511 Mon 25-Apr-16 19:21:14

Email has just been sent to CEO.......hopefully they will see my side of things. I will let you know what response i get

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 25-Apr-16 19:28:24

Good luck.

Sammy0511 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:01:02

Thank u and also for the advice x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now