Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity leave and self employed income?

(3 Posts)
RattieOfCatan Thu 21-Apr-16 12:26:17

I am both employed part time and self employed for ad-hoc work that I do. I also plan to have other means of income in the near future to supplement my income which I know that I will need to do on a self employed basis as well (crafting and online based bits and pieces).

What I don't know is how this affects my maternity leave/pay. I am assuming that I will be expected not to take any earnings at all during my maternity leave? Is that right? It would only be the crafting/online based work that I would be interested in doing in the latter half as I want to enjoy my maternity leave and not do my usual work during it. It would only bring in a small amount extra so we could do without it and I can hold off until next year, I'd just like the extra pennies for our mortgage-savings pot!

thisisbloodyridiculous Thu 21-Apr-16 22:03:10

Are you entitled to maternity pay at your employed work? If not look up maternity allowance which is for the self employed. Yes you do have to stop working in order to receive it.

RattieOfCatan Fri 22-Apr-16 07:17:04

Yes I am entitled to mp, it's my main source of income, the self employed work is just extra. I'll hold off on starting any extra bits until maternity is nearing it's end then as it would be a pain to start and register if I have to take a break from it, especially the crafting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now