Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Pips benfit. Becoming appontee of 16 year old. Help needed.

(13 Posts)
Sabaja3 Tue 19-Apr-16 17:17:47

Hi all
New to the group. Im being assessed in a month by a visitor fronm DWP over my sons new pips coming into affect. Hes currently on dla and has been for several years. Middle and lower rate. He has Aspergers Syndrome quite bad.

Now im being assessed as the visitor who rang said he wint take long. But then he said its my sons money and alarm bells went off!!.it was quite arrogant and he said hed dealt with thousands of boys hust like my son. But he didnt seem keen on me remaining his appointee. He has Aspergers quite bad as I said and cant handle any pressure at all. Its hard enough just controlling his rages. He has had no responsibility ever and never filled out a form or managed any money. But he does,ssy he wants to become a millionairre. He has exams coming up and the pressure is very high already without this. I just want to see him safe and for stability till hes 18. I cant imagine what would happen if he had to manage his own affairs as hes,so immature for his age

So how do I aporoach this now. Many thanks to all

cozietoesie Tue 19-Apr-16 21:37:47

Sabaja

You'll have to forgive me if this is way outside any experience I have - but I'm still wondering whether you could benefit from having someone (eg an advocate) being with you at this meeting? The Special Needs topic - eg Special Needs Chat to start with - might have posters on it with much relevant experience for you.

Owllady Tue 19-Apr-16 21:44:23

Sabaja, forgive me as I'm a bit confused smile
Is the assessment for pip with atos (have you filled in the application form?)
Or is the appointment at your home with the dwp?
As they are both different things and not related to one another

If you are not happy with the dwp decision 're not being an appointee, then I'd make a complaint detailing why you don't think he can manage his money and asked for a second opinion

Sabaja3 Tue 19-Apr-16 21:50:00

Thanks owllady. I have reposted in the special needs section

cozietoesie Tue 19-Apr-16 21:50:23

Phew. Someone who knows their stuff. Thanks Owllady. smile

cozietoesie Tue 19-Apr-16 21:51:06

Best of luck, Sabaja. smile

Sabaja3 Tue 19-Apr-16 21:52:00

No. Its not a pip assessment. Its an informal interview for appointeeship. But I feel they are taking contro over a vey sensitive situation.

Sabaja3 Tue 19-Apr-16 21:52:31

Thanks cozie

IAmTheWhoreOfBabylon Tue 19-Apr-16 21:55:36

I'm apointee for my 18 year old also with aspergers
They did give me a hard talk over the phone saying he could spend it as he wished but then they just asked him if he agreed and that was that

Groovee Tue 19-Apr-16 21:55:36

If you are on Facebook, fightback are a great group for advocacy. They ask for donations to help cover costs of running but if you can't afford it then they will still try.

Owllady Tue 19-Apr-16 22:05:10

So it's the visit from the dwp? You've not seen them yet?
Ours was okay tbh. I was given a weird talking to on the phone too grin and then fine in person.

What I will say sabaja, is that if you haven't been invited to apply for pip yet, PLEASE open all your letters and be prepared to act quickly otherwise they'll stop his DLA

Sabaja3 Tue 19-Apr-16 22:27:15

Owlady the pips is in place when he turns 16. Changing from DLA. I asked them over the phone to change the date as it clashed with his exams. The man then got quite cheeky by saying it will be stopped if the interview doesnt go ahead. Then he said ive seen thousands of Aspergers which got me angry. Then he said its his money. He doesnt realize how severe it is. The last years have been very hard. He has no understanding of money at all. I think thats why im worried because they dont know what its like to live with this condition. And ive heard so many bad stories.

AndNowItsSeven Thu 21-Apr-16 09:39:36

It's fine all they do is ask your ds if he is happy for you to look after his money. Make sure you tell them if he can't report changes / manage his money. Then you sign a form and show ID it takes about 15 minutes really nothing to worry about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now