Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

AIBU to think my son should not be guarantor for girlfriend's mum's rent?

(72 Posts)
MummaPear Mon 18-Apr-16 20:17:35

Feel bad but son is being pressured into being a guarantor for his girlfriend and mum who want to move. They've never had arrears as far as we know but I think it is a serious undertaking and not just a piece of paper.
I'm worried that if the mum suddenly couldn't work they may default and would then affect my son. He is trying to save so he can get his own place sometime.

sparechange Mon 18-Apr-16 20:19:12

How long have they been together? Do they share any responsibilities? DCs?

Does he fully understand what it means to be a guarantor?

tribpot Mon 18-Apr-16 20:20:12

How old is your ds? It sounds like he still lives with you? I definitely don't think he should be guarantor, it's a very serious undertaking.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 18-Apr-16 20:21:55

No I wouldn't like it. Are gf and her mum responsible people?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 18-Apr-16 20:22:58

If he and gf split up, it could be quite nasty if they abuse his trust and make it difficult for him.

HermioneWeasley Mon 18-Apr-16 20:24:26

Why would he do this? He's not rich - he's young and saving up. It's mad

gamerchick Mon 18-Apr-16 20:24:47

God its a stupid idea. Unless he doesn't mind bailiffs coming if they get in the shit because that will happen.

MummaPear Mon 18-Apr-16 20:24:48

My son lives at home with us. Girlfriend lives with her mum. They have an OK relationship but don't share any finances. Both work and they keep their money separate. Girlfriend pays her mum about £300 month keep. He does understand commitment but girlfriend been crying all day as they are about to lose a flat if they can't find someone by tomorrow. I've suggested they get a reference from existing landlord or provide proof of rent payment history via bank statements but apparently only a guarantor will do for the new landlord.

Son wants to say no but is being made to feel bad.

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 18-Apr-16 20:25:33

So he's not a homeowner? I was guarantor for my son and his then partner (now wife) as neither had much of a credit history despite starting in professions, and they wanted a homeowner to guarantee. The next move a year later and they didn't need one.
So I have to ask why they need him to be a guarantor, why neither of them are in a position to get the place. The daughter I can see it may be similar to my son, but why does the mother need a guarantor? Bad credit? I'd be really concerned for your son - it sounds iffy. And what if he splits from the girlfriend?
Sorry, I'm rambling. This isn't a good scenario is what I'm saying.

gamerchick Mon 18-Apr-16 20:26:06

There was a cant pay take it away on once where high court did chase the guarantor. It might be worth looking for it to show him.

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 18-Apr-16 20:26:25

Just saw the last sentence. So they're guilting him into it? Fuck that. Very dodgy.

Trooperslane Mon 18-Apr-16 20:26:35

He needs to run.

iwantavuvezela Mon 18-Apr-16 20:27:28

You might well find tha he cant be a guarantor. When I was asked (and declined) I needed to be a property owner. I asked the person lots of questions and said I could not take the risk of putting my house (mortgage) behind this. I think there are quite stringent rules (they want money from a guarantor or something of value). Have a read, I think on martins money tips they have an article on the pros, but mostly cons of doing this! It would be better to guarantee a months rent or something like that. It was too much for me to do, and I didn't want to be bound to someone else financially.

ImperialBlether Mon 18-Apr-16 20:28:08

He needs to get out of that relationship if she's guilt tripping him into something that might cost him a fortune.

MummaPear Mon 18-Apr-16 20:28:42

Ds is 22 and I think he should keep out of this. Just had a brief moment of feeling bad for them, but my concern is my own ds! He has asked me if he can get out of it after a short time. We don't know the answer but I seriously doubt you can once you've signed a legal document.

eurochick Mon 18-Apr-16 20:29:20

There's no upside for him here. He shouldn't even consider it.

Hadron21 Mon 18-Apr-16 20:29:21

If he's being pressured he absolutely should not do it for that reason alone.
If they fall behind with the rent, if they or someone else damage the property he will be financially responsible. There is also no 'get out' clause so if he and the girlfriend split up he can't end the contract. It's also not time limited so if they live there for 30 years he would remain responsible.
Before a court will grant eviction the arrears on a property are usually around £5k or more as the process takes so long (plus court costs). He will be responsible for this debt in such circumstances plus the cost of any remedial works for damage to the property.
Don't do it is my advice.
For further reasons not to do this have a look on the money saving / advice forums.

ImperialBlether Mon 18-Apr-16 20:29:22

Why are they moving now?

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 18-Apr-16 20:29:28

^ I agree totally with imperial. And imagine him being stuck with the girls mother if they stayed together.

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Mon 18-Apr-16 20:29:42

Guarantors really shouldn't be necessary unless there's a dodgy credit history involved.

I was watching one of those bailiff things the other night. A woman had defaulted on her debts, her father was guarantor so they turned up on his doorstep. Poor bloke phoned his daughter & she didn't give a shit so it was all down to him.

Your DS could have major problems if he does this.

Mumandmummer Mon 18-Apr-16 20:33:52

He needs to not do this. It could have huge repercussions for him in a long term sense. Also, obviously supposition here but I would think here might be worrying reasons that a new landlord is insisting on a guarantor given that this woman has been renting previously etc. Would be more usual in the case of a young/ first time renter without much income/ credit history. I think this is one of the occasions where need to really try and stop him from going through with it.

Ratbagcatbag Mon 18-Apr-16 20:34:49

I've found that guarantors are only needed in cases of poor/no credit history. If she's been renting previously with no issues then she should have proof of that which then leads it to be due to poor credit history. At which point is avoid like the plague.

Mumandmummer Mon 18-Apr-16 20:35:03

So many typos. Sorry!

Ciggaretteandsmirnoff Mon 18-Apr-16 20:35:41

I think this shows his gf and her mother in a really bad light. It's really not fair for her mother to be expecting a young lad to bail her out and his gf is a little madam for emotionally blackmailing him.

I wouldn't be happy at all and this will put immense pressure on your son.

He can't pull out of this contract by the way.

ImperialBlether Mon 18-Apr-16 20:37:03

I had to stand as guarantor for my son at university, which was fine as I was paying his rent anyway! It's a very serious thing - if the renter reneges on the rent, then the guarantor WILL be called on to pay for it. That's exactly why they have a guarantor - to ensure the rent is paid one way or another.

You say he and his girlfriend "get on okay." That's not a strong enough relationship for him to be standing guarantor for her mother. What the hell is she doing asking him anyway?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now