Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Financial advisor advice. Investment of lump sum.

(5 Posts)
ididntsignupforthis1 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:01:57

I know they charge fees now.
How do you go about finding a decent one?
I will have (post mothers house being sold, probate etc) approx 400k to invest.
I want to keep the lump sum intact initially for a good few years ( so happy to have instant access to a smaller (eg 30k) amount.and get maximum interest each month.
Low risk.
What and how do they charge?

PingPongBat Mon 18-Apr-16 21:55:42

No idea, but have a look here as a starting point: Money Advice Service and Citizens Advice website

Both of these have links to organisations who can put you in touch with someone in your area.

IceMaiden73 Wed 20-Apr-16 09:39:20

Where abouts are you based? Finding someone local would be a good idea

ididntsignupforthis1 Wed 20-Apr-16 10:05:32

Southport

Sunseed Wed 20-Apr-16 19:28:09

I am a financial adviser and based near Warrington. I have some very good contacts in Southport that I can recommend. Most decent advisers build their businesses through referrals and word of mouth recommendations so ask friends/colleagues. Fees are charged for providing advice and for implementing any recommendations made. They can either be paid directly by you to the adviser, or they can be paid via the product provider, ie. deducted from the investment when it is made. Some may charge up to 4%, others less, depends on anticipated amount of work involved and we have a lot of regulatory overheads. At £400k you should be able to negotiate 2-3%.

You should be able to have an initial chat at no charge so that both you and the adviser can weigh up if you are going to be able to work together.

Please PM me if I can be of any further help to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now