Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Alternative to sky?

(24 Posts)
sparkle789 Mon 18-Apr-16 14:53:02

We currently have sky for tv ( all channels I think except movies and sport) broadband and phone it's just gone up to £68 a month.

Does anyone know a good alternative to sky that's cheaper?

cozietoesie Mon 18-Apr-16 14:58:30

When is your contract up with Sky for each element? They're quite ....determined..... about sliding in contract extensions and the total cost of their services is now pretty punchy when you consider the comparative charges from the 'opposition'.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 18-Apr-16 14:59:54

We cancelled our Sky subscription and kept the sky box so we can watch all the freeview channels. We changed our phone and broadband to BT as new customers get amazing offers. Broadband free for 6 months and £10 line rental.Also BT sports channels for free via our Sky box.

Cakescakescakes Mon 18-Apr-16 14:59:58

Ring them and say it's too expensive and you want to cancel. They willnoffer you a discount. If they don't then hold your nerve and say you want to cancel. They won't let you actually leave and will ring you again before the end of your notice period with an offer. We have half price full package for a year by doing this twice!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 18-Apr-16 15:02:22

Cakes is right. It's all about luring new customers in. When we cancelled Sky, we were inundated with letters and calls offering very cheap deals to go back.

SavoyCabbage Mon 18-Apr-16 15:04:47

Can't you change your package? Ours is the bottom one and its £20 a month.

BloodyDogHairs Mon 18-Apr-16 15:05:38

I cancelled my Sky TV 2 weeks ago, I didn't get any offers to stay which I was quite disappointed by as I've been a customer since 2004!! And I've still not had them try and get me back.

cozietoesie Mon 18-Apr-16 15:08:50

Hold your nerve, BDH. I'm probably the same but I'm heartened by a PP's tale and regarding the 30 day thing.

cozietoesie Mon 18-Apr-16 15:13:20

I think most everything is cheaper these days, sparkle, if you shop around. I nearly choked when I worked out what a lousy deal I was getting from Sky - I'm on the point of cancelling myself and moving to BT TV.

Chasingsquirrels Mon 18-Apr-16 15:20:49

Freesat and Freeview are, umm, free.
So if paying for TV is too expensive for you then stop (consider if you are in contract and cancellation fees).
Netflix is good for extras if you have unlimited broadband, and a lot cheaper pm. Or for Sky channels consider Now TV.

Reduced phone line and broadband usually comes from moving and getting new customer deals, but you can ask your provider what they would offer.

cozietoesie Mon 18-Apr-16 15:27:53

I changed to BT Broadband (with an annual line rental) to get a deal that would have been difficult to refuse. (Lousy customer service for an initial issue but otherwise it's been fine.) The only thing holding me back from getting BT TV now is the fact that you seem to still need an aerial for it?

AndNowItsSeven Mon 18-Apr-16 15:29:54

An thinking of leaving sky can anyone recommend virgin media?

Friendlystories Mon 18-Apr-16 15:34:25

Virgin's service is good but also expensive. We're currently looking into an android box, still need Internet but no monthly cost for TV, still learning about them myself but worth looking into if you want more than freeview channels without the monthly subscription.

OliviaStabler Mon 18-Apr-16 15:42:02

Do you still want all the sports etc but cheaper or are you looking at a complete change?

I cancelled Sky a few years ago and trialled the online options from Now, Amazon and Netflix. I went with Netflix. Only £6.99 a month and I still get lots of channels through my old Sky box.

Lumpylumperson Mon 18-Apr-16 16:01:01

<Lurks>

I want to leave Sky to save some money but I like Sky1 and don't know how to sort out my e-mails that are Sky.

Is there a way I can keep them?

AndNowItsSeven Mon 18-Apr-16 16:02:41

I don't really care about Tv at all am happy with Netflix. Broadband seems to be the same price though without it without Tv .

Cakescakescakes Mon 18-Apr-16 16:28:41

For those who have cancelled don't give up! Once for us they didn't come back with an offer before the cut off date and it did actually cancel. We were still able to use our box as a freeview box but couldn't record or pause to etc and all our recorded shows vanished. After 2 weeks Sky then phones to lure us back with 60% off for a year! Saved hundreds as we have movies etc. And once they reconnected us all our recorded shows reappeared!
They are bluffing you. Don't give in smile

Ps also if they don't come back with an offer the you could try ringing again to say can they offer any deals as you might consider staying. DH has done that too... Sky must hate us!!

whattodoforthebest2 Mon 18-Apr-16 16:32:09

Lumpy I've left Sky twice in the past and it's never affected my email accounts. I have business and personal email accounts with sky.

cozietoesie Mon 18-Apr-16 16:41:08

Sky use yahoo don't they? If so, you should still be able to get to emails using the yahoo login in any case.

floppyjogger Mon 18-Apr-16 16:44:07

We're cancelling at the end of this month due to the price hike coming so we are going to give Now Tv a try which is linked to sky.

Its only about 10.00 a month subscription because of the offer for new customers and means we get some Sky channels including movies and Atlantic which i have to have for Game of thrones!

Luciferbox Mon 18-Apr-16 16:44:19

I rang to reduce our sky package. I had to cut my conversation/live chat short a few times because my baby was crying. Each time I rang them back they offered me a new deal and it got cheaper and cheaper. I eventually knocked off £25 and got free movies and sports.

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Mon 18-Apr-16 16:46:00

We have BT vision and a Now TV box smile

annielostit Mon 18-Apr-16 19:29:16

We changed to BT from sky, the broadband is really good but TV is shite. It runs on internet channels and they stick & buffer. You don't get many channels or all the +1 channels. Sky sports bolt ons cost £30 for 2 channels & movies are more. As soon as November comes I'm getting a new sky box. Blag a deal with them.

cozietoesie Mon 18-Apr-16 19:36:13

annie

Did you need an aerial connection to get BT TV?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now