Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Executors of a will

(3 Posts)
willadviceplease Thu 14-Apr-16 12:59:07

Hi.

I am a divorced woman with one ds aged 18.

My will hasn't been updated since ds was much younger and I divorced his Dad.

The will asks my friends to look after my ds (I don't have any parents or siblings alive ) and for them to have control of the finances to support him.

Now my son is 18, I'd like to change my will to ensure that my son is the main beneficiary.

Should I just have my son as executor or should I appoint someone else (my friend, perhaps) as joint executor assuming I'd also leave her some money too?

I just feel it would be a huge responsibility for an 18 year old boy to deal with on his own.

cozietoesie Thu 14-Apr-16 18:33:15

Have you a solicitor/their firm you could ask to act as joint executor?

FishWithABicycle Thu 14-Apr-16 19:02:59

It's best for the executor to be someone who isn't benefiting from the will at all. Much better to appoint someone as executor who you can trust to do the job well but who wouldn't expect a legacy themselves. Executor's can charge the estate for any reasonable expenses incurred in performing the function of executor so they don't need a legacy to recompense them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now