Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits- more than two children

(12 Posts)
AndYourBirdCanSing Fri 08-Apr-16 12:48:36

I'm currently a stay at home parent with DH working full time. Third child is due later this year. I know we won't be affected by the child tax credits changes as baby is due before April 2017, but I am hoping to go back to uni in the next couple of years. Before that I would like to go back to work part time.

So, would this be classed as a new claim? I understand that if I went to work full time before uni we would lose all tax credits so that would definitely be a new claim (I'm not sure if childcare tax credits would count?) but if I did part time we would still be entitled to some, so I am hoping that a return to uni wouldn't then be considered a new claim? If that makes sense?!

Any info would be much appreciated!

AndYourBirdCanSing Sat 09-Apr-16 11:25:58

bump

Afreshstartplease Sat 09-Apr-16 11:27:50

I don't think so

Only claims where you add or remove a partner start a new claim. Or if you stop claiming for some reason

BeautifulLiar Sat 09-Apr-16 11:28:09

Would you be continuously claiming tax credits? Or having a break from them for less than 6 months? Then that would be fine x

Babyroobs Sat 09-Apr-16 11:39:06

Universal credit will be replacing tax credits from next year in some areas so i'm unsure howthat would affect you, but may be worth looking into.

MrGrumpy01 Sat 09-Apr-16 12:16:10

I wouldn't be surprised if they change the rules on what counts as a new claim. I wish they could just be straight with the plans.

Babyroobs Sat 09-Apr-16 13:05:44

Does anyone know if you can only claim for 2 kids with Universal credit after 2017. I'm presuming so ?

BeautifulLiar Sat 09-Apr-16 13:06:35

Yes Babyroobs only two kids (unless multiple birth or rape)

AndYourBirdCanSing Sat 09-Apr-16 14:03:29

Thanks all, yes I think it would be a continuous claim, would just be change of circumstances. So as long as I don't stop then start claiming again it should be ok?

AndYourBirdCanSing Sat 09-Apr-16 14:04:42

MrGrumpy01 that's what I'm concerned about. I imagine they very well could suddenly change the rules on what a new claim would mean

AndNowItsSeven Sat 09-Apr-16 16:27:21

They aren't changing the rules on new claims and have no future plans to do so.
You will be fine as long as you reclaim within six months.

lavent Mon 11-Apr-16 12:08:29

On a similar tangent- If a single parent of more than 2 children moves in with a new partner would that mean they would only be able to claim for the first 2 as it would be classed as a new claim?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now