Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Joint Account - Married for 10 years

(32 Posts)
TeacherABC Fri 01-Apr-16 13:01:04

Is anybody else in he position where they are married and don't have a joint bank account?

8angle Fri 01-Apr-16 14:28:54

we do but we are one of the few couples that i know who do.

It works for some and not for others - lots of people have different experiences with what does and doesn't work.

how are your finances arranged ? are you looking to change things?

zikreetdreaming Fri 01-Apr-16 14:56:24

We don't. We have had in the past but don't at the moment. Money completely shared though - just paid into separate accounts.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Fri 01-Apr-16 15:05:28

We have a joint bank acc. Been married 4 years.

I kept my original account from my single days though and when I need cash I'll ask my husband to transfer money across from our joint acc where both sets of wages are paid into. I also have a card to withdraw cash directly from that joint acc but never bother to do it.

Sounds a bit 1950s written down but it works for us smile

Shutthatdoor Fri 01-Apr-16 15:07:50

No we don't. Joint savings account yes but still have our own accounts.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 01-Apr-16 15:26:27

We do. What's his is mine and what's mine is my own. wink
I couldn't be faffing with 'I paid for this so you pay for that'

australiatiger Fri 01-Apr-16 23:44:18

We have separate accounts, been married 14 years. We don't bother keeping track of who has paid for what, just view it as all one thing but in different places.

Luciferbox Fri 01-Apr-16 23:46:59

Me. Been together for 16 years and we've never got around to it. We split our bills so we each pay our way but banks generally scare us so we haven't set up a joint account for bills yet.

ThePartyArtist Fri 01-Apr-16 23:57:42

We have a joint account for shared household things e.g. rent, bills, supermarket shopping. Everything else separate (saves on guilt if we want to splash out on something). I don't know what we will do when we have kids though!

leccybill Sat 02-Apr-16 00:05:05

Joint account for mortgage and bills.
Our own accounts - I pay the food bills and DH pays for 'leisure'.
Generally works out about even, although we don't keep track.

Those without a joint account - does one person pay the mortgage/rent?

zikreetdreaming Sat 02-Apr-16 06:50:58

Leccy our rent is paid annually so a it of an endeavour smile We tend to just send out if either account and then transfer money between as needed. Our big monthly expenses go out of my credit card at the moment but that'll shift to DH's soon. Previously we had cards on each each others accounts but gave just shifted and haven't sorted that out. Money is genuinely shared - there's no concept if one if us paying the grocery bill.

Reason we have separate accounts is we live in a country where they freeze you account if you die and I have heard horror stories about the surviving spouse being left without access to money.

zikreetdreaming Sat 02-Apr-16 06:51:52

If I were a proper mumsnetter I'd proof mu posts...

P1nkP0ppy Sat 02-Apr-16 07:09:02

No joint account and we've been married 40 years.
Bills, including mortgage, are split between us and it works well.

HormonalHeap Sat 02-Apr-16 21:45:37

Married 5 years, joint account but also separate ones. I don't work and dh does so it doesn't make a difference anyway.

BIWI Sat 02-Apr-16 21:48:25

We both pay equal amounts into a joint account, which is for the mortgage and all our household bills. But we both also have our own bank accounts for the rest of our earnings. The reason we do this is that DH and I have very different attitudes to money. He hates being overdrawn whereas I'm more relaxed about money.

gingerdad Sun 03-Apr-16 07:43:41

We just have everything paid into and out if one joint account. It's our money. Makes no odds who earns more

PotteringAlong Sun 03-Apr-16 07:49:30

No joint account (although joint savings) - we just never got around to sorting it out. We also like a pp said don't keep any track of who pays for what, just see it as the same money in different places.

leccy my DH's account pays the mortgage - it was set up when i was on maternity leave like that and we've left it.

It works for us.

GeorgeTheThird Sun 03-Apr-16 07:52:37

Why do you ask?

allegretto Sun 03-Apr-16 07:55:21

We don't. He pays mortgage, bills and I pay other stuff.

Parker231 Sun 03-Apr-16 07:59:12

We have a joint account which our salaries are paid into and from all bills and joint spending comes out of. An equal amount is paid into our separate bank accounts to do what we want with. It works for us, is easy to manage and most importantly we both have the same amount of our own money regardless of our salary.
I struggle to understand couples where one has more available cash than the other because they earn less or are the SAHP.

Feelingblue222 Sun 03-Apr-16 08:07:28

We started out with a joint account for bills and left equal amounts of spending money in our original desperate accounts, but after I went on mat leave 5 years ago DH started paying all the bills out of his account and I was left with enough for food shopping and saving for hols etc.

Never got round to reverting so I now end up with all the 'spare' money and DH just pays bills/has a small amount left. Probably safer as he is not to be trusted with money anyway!
If we do (rarely!) go out together it's just whoever gets to the till first that pays - we view all the money a family money.

turkeyboots Sun 03-Apr-16 08:43:41

No joint account and we've been together for 18yrs. Wages paid into our own accounts and bills are split between us, he has rent and utilities, I do council tax and food and childcare. But all money is family money and we have joint savings.

worcestersauce29 Mon 04-Apr-16 19:44:07

22 years married, joint accounts from day 1…current and savings. Hub also has another personal account which is for a rental property.

GeorgeTheThird Mon 04-Apr-16 20:17:38

How rude.

Dellarobia Tue 05-Apr-16 16:40:37

Married 12 years, separate current accounts but joint savings. We are both natural savers not spenders and have never had an argument over money, so I think any approach would work really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now