Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Will I end up having to pay back Tax Credits?

(8 Posts)
BLACKTUESDAY1 Fri 01-Apr-16 09:12:35

I have been entitled to tax credits up to April this year but we will be over the income threshold next year so will no longer be eligible. This really means that the payment I receive on Monday should be our last. The thing is it takes months for the renewal pack to come through which will result in us receiving TC that we aren't entitled to. I've tried on numerous occasions to phone them without success and can't find any way to email them. Obviously as soon as our renewal pack comes through we can input our earnings but that won't be for some time. Will they ask for everything they have paid back in the new tax year?

lavent Fri 01-Apr-16 13:16:14

If you want to ensure you are not overpaid you could always write to them, keep a copy and send it recorded delivery?

lavent Fri 01-Apr-16 13:16:53

I can also say I've had most luck calling them at around 7pm.

gamerchick Fri 01-Apr-16 13:24:13

If all else fails stick the money in a savings account so it's there to pay back?

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Fri 01-Apr-16 13:43:55

I got through to them successfully on this number 028 9053 8192 you just say can I give you my estimated income for 16/17 as my income has gone up and I won't be entitled so would rather my payments stop now than be overpaid until renewal.

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Fri 01-Apr-16 13:44:18

Stopped ours straight away.

BLACKTUESDAY1 Fri 01-Apr-16 15:29:01

Thanks for the advice. I will give that number a go. I could always put the money in savings but would rather not have it at all

AveEldon Sat 02-Apr-16 09:10:54

www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/tax-credits-enquiries

If you can't get through on the phone - write to them - they can fine you £300 if you don't notify them of changes within 30 days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now