Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

So confused - deadline for registering as self employed?

(1 Post)
Cagliostro Wed 30-Mar-16 19:17:49

I have been tutoring on a very casual basis - average £20 a week, although the plan long term is to do a lot more and I have new pupils wanting to start.

I read the gov.uk info and that suggests that my deadline, due to when I started, is October 2016:
_________
Register as soon as you can after starting your business. At the latest, you should register by 5 October in your business’s second tax year.

Example

If you start working as a sole trader between April 2014 to March 2015, you should register before 5 October 2015. I started at the end of April 2015.

If you register later than this, you won’t get a penalty as long as you send your Self Assessment tax return and pay your bill on time.
_________
But then on the penalty info it had this:

What is a failure to notify
There are certain circumstances that affect your liability to tax that you must tell us about, and you must
do so within certain time limits. If you do not do this, we call this a ‘failure to notify’.
The circumstances that you must tell us about include when you:
 first become liable to pay tax
 either carry out, or intend to carry out a taxable activity that must be registered with us
Examples of when you first become liable to pay tax include when:
 your business exceeds the VAT registration threshold - you must tell us within 30 days of
this happening
 the VAT supplies you make change - you must tell us within 30 days of this happening
 your company first becomes chargeable to tax - you must tell us within 3 months of when the
company’s accounting period began
you are self-employed - you must tell us that you are due to pay Class 2 National Insurance contributions within 3 months from the end of the calendar month in which you started <-- that's the bit I'm confused about, what does that mean?
 your profits from self-employment first make you chargeable to tax - you must tell us within 6 months of
the end of the relevant tax year
 you have no earned income but your investment income first reaches a level that makes you
chargeable to tax - you must tell us within 6 months of the end of the relevant tax year

Apologies for being a total dimwit, I have processing issues that make understanding this kind of thing really hard (ASD) can anyone clarify please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now