Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

HMRC Refunds

(12 Posts)
StitchesInTime Tue 22-Mar-16 17:24:09

I suspect I know the answer to this. But just to check, as I couldn't find any relevant FAQs in a quick look at the HMRC website.....

If HMRC are giving out a tax rebate, do they normally send an e-mail titled "HMRC Refund Confirmation !" (The ! in the title is not a typo. Not mine, anyway)

I didn't do a tax return either BTW.

MrsPigling Tue 22-Mar-16 17:26:34

no smile

I had a tax refund (something to do with interest on savings accounts, which confused me as all our savings are in isas so tax free interest anyway, but....) and the first I knew was when the cheque turned up in the post. Mine was only £18 though, not sure if the procedure is different for larger amounts

Eve Tue 22-Mar-16 17:28:57

No, cheque in the post unless you have requested it his bank transfer on self assessment.

QuinionsRainbow Tue 22-Mar-16 18:02:11

No, but crooks trying to scam you out of your hard earned cash often do. Whatever you do, DON'T click on any links.

VerySlovenly Tue 22-Mar-16 18:17:15

No they do not. I had one this year after self assessment, by bank transfer as I had requested. They just send a bland message saying something like "you have a new message that you can see if you log in to your self-assessment online". So you need to go to the web site (NOT via any link in the email) and login.

Your message is spam, like all the others with bad punctuation or spelling! I am sure you know this but don't ever follow a link from one of these messages.

cozietoesie Tue 22-Mar-16 23:24:31

Have a read of this.

StitchesInTime Wed 23-Mar-16 07:44:41

Thanks everyone, and thanks to cozie for the link.

Spammy phishing e-mail is now deleted.

cozietoesie Wed 23-Mar-16 09:59:09

Well done. smile

Keep a generally watchful eye on your Inbox in any case. If your email is out there and being used by the bad guys, you might get further attempts to lure you into something.

scarlets Mon 28-Mar-16 18:14:46

Never.

Hmrc has finally dragged itself into the 21st century - you can check your tax yourself at www.tax.service.gov.uk/coafe/government-gateway/register?accountType=individual&continue=%2Fpersonal-account%2Fdo-uplift

cozietoesie Tue 29-Mar-16 01:07:39

There can still be trouble though, scarlets, in getting the HMRC left hand to talk to the HMRC right hand. Watch them like hawks. smile

LadyB49 Tue 29-Mar-16 01:46:23

Red tape is a nuisance. I work only on one day (usually in May), possibly 2 days, per year. I don't pay tax. My earnings for that one day are taxed at source and I then get a p.45. I have to wait until after the end of the tax year for my refund so it's usually about June/July the following year before I receive it ..... about 14 months.

By that time I've worked another day in the following May and have been taxed at source again before getting the refund due from the previous year.

It used to be that the employer could accept a statement that I didn't pay tax and could pay me the gross amount.

LadyB49 Tue 29-Mar-16 01:47:13

Meant to say.... My refund arrives by cheque, no emails or such.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now