Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Jewellery valuation for probate

(5 Posts)
Bloodybridget Mon 21-Mar-16 13:56:26

A friend has to get a large quantity of jewellery valued after her DM's death. Most of it is costume but some probably valuable. Is there an alternative to paying a jeweler a lot per item? TIA for any suggestions!

Rockchick1984 Mon 21-Mar-16 21:49:17

Take it to a jeweller and ask them for an approx valuation for insurance purposes initially. That way she can establish which items need a full valuation, and which aren't worth anything (other than sentimentality of course).

Bloodybridget Tue 22-Mar-16 08:27:56

Oh thanks! Will pass this on.

NoOneIsInterested Tue 22-Mar-16 20:21:41

Phone around, some jewellers will do deal on multiple items. I paid a flat rate for all my jewellery - I have high value items. It was ridiculously cheaper than places that charged per item or that charged a percentage. Check with your insurance company what professional organization (or whatever) the jeweller needs to belong to.
Have a think about what you want out of the valuation. A lot of valuations given for 'insurance purposes' are over optimistic and pointless.

Bloodybridget Wed 23-Mar-16 09:01:17

Thank you very much, NoOneIsInterested, phoning around is a good idea. She needs the valuation for probate on her mother's estate, so she can make this clear to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now