Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Historical tax return help!

(6 Posts)
itstheyearzero Sun 20-Mar-16 13:29:33

Hi. Need some help please as I'm panicking a bit! I need to do a historical tax return for tax year 2010 to declare some income on a rental property. Long story short my parents died so I let out their property and didn't know I had to declare it. Stupid of me but my emotional state meant I was a bit all over the place and not thinking clearly. Anyhow it is what it is but I'm unsure about the former so I am hoping someone can advise me!

At the time I was working part time and claiming WTC. So, where it asks me about income from the property that's fine I know what I'm doing, but where it asks about earnings, do I include the salary I got? Not sure as I have paid tax on this already? Also do I need to include the tax credits??

All advice gratefully received as I've never done a self assessment before so I need to get it right. Thank you.

Indantherene Sun 20-Mar-16 14:37:25

You should have an Employment page. On it you include the salary, and include the tax you paid on that salary.

Indantherene Sun 20-Mar-16 14:42:38

Just double checked and you don't include WTC.

itstheyearzero Sun 20-Mar-16 14:44:22

Thank you that's really helpful. Glad I don't have to include WTC as it was so long ago I'm not sure I still have the paperwork. Thanks again flowers

IceMaiden73 Sun 20-Mar-16 17:06:45

Yes you need to include ALL income you received in the year (apart from some benefits).

Your employment will go on separate pages

Don't forget there may be some expenses you can offset against your rental income

itstheyearzero Sun 20-Mar-16 18:16:28

Thanks yes I think I know what I'm doing now. Thanks both x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now