Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PPI letter even though already claimed.

(12 Posts)
frikadela01 Sun 13-Mar-16 09:35:26

My DP received a letter from lloyds yesteady saying his PPI claim has been recalculated and he is to receive a further £3000. Thing is he already claimed about 3 years ago and received quite a large payout then. The letter is pretty confusing and has loads of calculations on it how they've come to the agreed amount and says he doesn't have to act and will receive a cheque or bacs payment within 28 days.

Now I'm tempted to just wait the 28 days and see what happens but he's slightly paranoid that if he does receive the money and it's found to be an error he'll then have to pay it back.

I guess what I'm asking is has anyone else claimed previously then been told they have more money due?

Thatrabbittrickedme Sun 13-Mar-16 10:14:32

The pay out rules were revised by the FCA so it is possible that your bank underpaid in the first compensation so this could be a valid (and happy) letter for you. If the letter is definitely from Lloyds and not a fake, what do you have to lose from calling them now and asking them?

ImperialBlether Sun 13-Mar-16 10:36:51

I've sent you a PM, Frikadela.

ImperialBlether Sun 13-Mar-16 10:37:23

Can you remember how the payout rules changed, Thatrabbittrickedme?

Thatrabbittrickedme Sun 13-Mar-16 11:13:48

I believe Imperial this was a result of the FCA auditing claim decisions made in 11-13 link below.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/reclaim/2014/08/2-5m-old-ppi-complaints-to-be-reopened

Additionally (but don't know if this is linked to the OP case) the Plevin ruling brought commission paid to insurers into scope for payout calculations which increases the payouts offered.

All the big banks that posted results in the last few weeks that greatly increased the payout pots (eg Barclays £1.45bn) to take them to the deadline of 2018 when the claiming window will be brought to an end.

ImperialBlether Sun 13-Mar-16 11:23:55

So this is due to what happened in 2014? That's taken them long enough!

frikadela01 Sun 13-Mar-16 14:25:15

Thanks for that link. Reading it certainly suggests that it could be why DP is getting more money.

Thatrabbittrickedme Sun 13-Mar-16 16:45:18

Yes Frik - please don't be afraid to call the bank, likely (particularly as you are with Lloyds, the worst culprit in underpaying compensation) that you are genuinely owed this additional 3k but better to call them than to wonder or worry about it

SoreArms Sat 26-Mar-16 11:19:59

Frik did your DH call the bank? I've received similar letter today, so am curious!

medusasmirror Sun 27-Mar-16 13:08:51

This happened to me too. I was offered and accepted approx £2500. Over a year later, Lloyds wrote to me and said they had recalculated and paid me a further £1800.

Beansprout30 Mon 28-Mar-16 21:47:29

I know three people who've also received letters and additional payouts from Lloyds in the last month.. Hoping I get one too!!

SoreArms Thu 31-Mar-16 08:33:11

Thanks for the replies - the money hit my account today, less than a week after receiving the letter - so definitely not a scam, v happy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now