Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

upping work hours how will it affect what I currently get?

(4 Posts)
BibbidiBobbidiBoo1 Thu 10-Mar-16 21:26:42

Not sure if this is the right bit to post on but here goes.
And I do plan on calling maybe the CAB so see if the can help too, but always useful if people are in a similar situation.

I currently work 12.5 hours a week. I get Child tax credit. Housing Benefit. Council Tax support and child benefit. I'm a single parent.

I have the chance of doing an extra 5 hours (ish) a week at a second job. If I take this on will it stop/lower what I currently get?
I don't really understand working tax credits either - how does this work?

I think, but haven't looked into it all yet, going self employed for the second job may be better. But again it's only this week this has all come up and I don't want to rock the boat for 5 hours and technically be worse off.

Any advise gratefully received and tips on who to speak to and what to do would be great.

Thank you in advance

Viviennemary Fri 11-Mar-16 08:54:14

I don't think it's how many hours you work but how much you earn that might affect your benefit. I think you have to work more than a certain number of hours to qualify for the working tax credit so if you up your hours you might qualify for that if you're not getting it at the moment. You could wait and see what the budget says next week before you make any decisions because there might be some changes.

There is a benefit calculator on the government website. So enter your details now and then do again with new details and see if there's any difference.

BibbidiBobbidiBoo1 Fri 11-Mar-16 19:01:05

Ah yes - good thinking.

I shall do that. Thank you.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Mon 14-Mar-16 09:00:38

It should make you eligible for Working tax credit.

www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/overview

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now