Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

statutory maternity pay

(4 Posts)
happybus28 Sun 06-Mar-16 14:47:59

So me and DH are hoping to start TTC within the next couple of months and currently doing some baby/maternity leave maths! I just wondered if anyone can tell me how much statutory maternity pay they get AFTER tax deductions? I only get statutory with no employer contributions so just trying to work out how much id be looking at. Thanks.

LIZS Sun 06-Mar-16 14:55:37

It is currently around £135 a week, although you get 90% of average earnings for 1st 6 weeks if greater. You may be able to reclaim some of the tax you've already paid under PAYE to date during the same tax year.

Twinwife Mon 07-Mar-16 02:40:20

I estimated £500 or so a month for planning purposes. Due to my occupational mat pay and the fact I am only taking 9 months leave I will earn over my tax free allowance so pay 20% tax. This is taken as PAYE.

I would rather underestimate to avoid any problems.it seemed to work out about right last time and for this mat leave too.

Julieb85 Tue 08-Mar-16 18:57:27

It depends on how many weeks are in the month. I was averaging 585 per month with no tax or NI deducted as its not enough to reach threshold

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now