Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Life cover - advice please

(3 Posts)
lisaloo77 Fri 26-Feb-16 13:47:22

Hi, looking for some advice please. My DH and I spoke to a FA 2 years ago when we bought our house and took out the following policies. We are thinking of changing as they are so expensive and I'm not even sure they are the right policies for us! I am 38, DH 39, 23 years left on £180k mortgage. 3 children age 14, 12 and 5.
Increasing life cover to pay off mortgage - myself £12/month, husband £14/month.
Critical illness - myself £40k cover -£36/month, DH - £80k cover - £38/month
Life cover to give £1k/month - myself £10/month, DH£12/month
DH has income protection which would give £1500/month - £63/month

It all totals £185/month which, on top of our other outgoings, we are struggling to find. Any advice would be appreciated please.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sat 27-Feb-16 18:01:25

I would speak to an insurance broker. You are very well insured but TBH you could rearrange much of that and self insure for some of it. £185 is a lot.

I would look on line and see what you can find. Life cover and Familt income benefit are easy to check. Be more cautious with CIC as not all policies are as good.

titchy Sat 27-Feb-16 18:21:51

Assuming at least one of you works there should be death in service benefits from work so that might well mean you don't need one of the policies. Critical illness is probably also unnecessary tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now