Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

can you cancel your housing benefit claim?

(5 Posts)
FatimaShitbread Sat 20-Feb-16 15:53:41

Hi all. I rent from my half brother and claim housing benefit to help towards the cost. I would like to end my claim as I have just had a small pay rise at work (this month) and can't be doing with the hassle it brings. If it is easy to end my claim do I need to give a reason or can I just write a letter to say I would like it to end on whatever date?
TIA.

FatimaShitbread Sat 20-Feb-16 20:10:34

Bump for those not watching Ant and Dec!

Akire Sat 20-Feb-16 20:13:53

Yes she ring the housing department or write and say a change in circumstance and will no longer claim after X date.

unimaginativename13 Sun 21-Feb-16 19:59:26

You rent from family and claim housing benefit hmm

That is one of the questions on the application as its not allowed.

FatimaShitbread Mon 22-Feb-16 06:27:04

Thanks for your reply's. The council know I rent from my brother unimaginative don't know why I added that tbh as it's not really relevant to this thread. We have a tenancy agreement drawn up by his solicitor and we're completely honest with the council from the start. There has never been an issue with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now