Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Transferring child trust fund?

(6 Posts)
floppyjogger Thu 18-Feb-16 09:22:09

I have absolutely no clue what i should be doing with Ds's CTF.

Its value has dropped from just over 3000 to 2640 in a very short space of time. Its currently with Family Investments which is a stakeholder thing I think.

Has anyone transferred the money to a safer option? We were never looking for gambling on big gains, we just want to protect whats been put in by family and friends over the years.

I'm hoping someone has an idea of what to do and where to transfer it to.

Babelange Thu 18-Feb-16 20:58:01

You need to transfer it to a cash JISA (junior ISA); look and see if there are any linked offers with your current account or savings accounts - look on moneysavingexpert.com for best offers (last year Halifax and Nationwide had best offers) - sounds like you ended up with a stocks and shares CTF with high charges which has eroded your investment. You'll need the original CTF notification from the government which has a reference number which facilitates the transfer.

PippaFawcett Thu 18-Feb-16 20:59:37

I transferred DD's to a Junior ISA at Nationwide - it took me a year to get round to it though!

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 18-Feb-16 21:06:30

The point is with a stocks and shares trust fund that it perform well over 16 years so it could go down and up but nearer the end if you have chosen life styling they will change the investments to safer investments anyway. Does yours charge high management fees? If you transfer to a cash ISA you won't recoup the lost money. If you transfer to a stocks and shares ISA you will just be in the same position you are now.

floppyjogger Fri 19-Feb-16 11:27:59

Thankyou for the responses.

I've decided to apply for the Nationwide Junior Cash ISA which has a relatively good interest rate at the moment and accepts CTF transfers smile

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 19-Feb-16 21:02:44

CASH Isa's are a waste of time. Sit tight, ride out the wave. Don't cash it in now, that's just crazy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now