Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits and Zero hour contracts

(6 Posts)
AngelaH80 Wed 10-Feb-16 19:39:44

HI

My husband started a new job under the impression it was 40 hours a week (as per advert) we have since found out it is in fact a zero hour. He has never been asked to sign anything either.

This is our main income along with child tax credits and child benefit. He called HMRC to report the change and to ask where we stand with regards to it being zero hour we were told "I have put you down as 30 hours average as its not what you are contracted to, it's what you work." he had explained it was zero hour and that he is hourly rate and paid weekly.

Does anyone know if we need to declare this every week depending on what he works/earns? I am so so confused

thanks
Angela

BloodyDogHairs Wed 10-Feb-16 19:46:00

When I was zero hour it was a estimate of hours per week, I overestimated incase I got more work than expected. A few years I got a good lump sum at the end of the tax year as I didn't earn what I thought I would...that's not great if you need the money every month tho.

You don't need to tell them every week just work out what he would earn yearly.

AngelaH80 Wed 10-Feb-16 20:15:14

ahhh ok that makes more sense!
So confusing as never had to deal with a zero hour contract before

Thank you so much

abbsismyhero Wed 10-Feb-16 20:19:17

if they have put you down as over thirty hours and your hours regularly dip below (for a few weeks) you have to report it as a change in circumstances

BloodyDogHairs Wed 10-Feb-16 20:34:25

Remember too if your husband earns more than expected you will need to repay the child tax credit back the following year.

AngelaH80 Wed 10-Feb-16 21:30:18

I get the feeling that zero hour contracts are more hassle than they are worth!!
Thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now