Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I need to raise £640 any ideas?

(26 Posts)
AddictedtoGreys Mon 08-Feb-16 07:46:56

Hello! I am a SAHP to our 2 year old son and my DH has a good job, but we have recently found we need some work doing to the outside of our house which will cost £640. We won't be able to save much money from my DH pay so will take ages to get this work done which is causing more problems the lover it's left. Does anyone have any ideas how I could possible raise the money? I enjoy baking, animals, but I have DS all but 2'mornings a week confused

Any tips greatly appreciated!

AddictedtoGreys Mon 08-Feb-16 07:47:33

*longer it's left

hesterton Mon 08-Feb-16 07:49:37

Evening babysitting if your dh is about?
Loan from family member or bank loan?
Sell stuff on ebay?
Let out a room on a temporary basis for a few months?

Pandopops Mon 08-Feb-16 07:50:53

Would you consider applying for a 0% credit card. I think Barclays is 0% for around 28 months.

My credit limit is £750, & I should pay around £14 a month but I overpay so its cleared quicker.

Shirkingfromhome Mon 08-Feb-16 08:01:00

Sell cakes? No offence but are they professional standard? You could set up a Facebook page but you'd need people to recommend you.

Get a part time evening job; cleaning, bar work?

EBay; have a big clear out.

glenthebattleostrich Mon 08-Feb-16 08:03:51

Ironing service
dog walking
Babysitting
Sell stuff on ebay / gumtree / Facebook
Cleaning
if you have specific skills look at people per hour for freelance work
Use cash back sites when buying online
Drop down a brand level when shopping and save the difference

NightWanderer Mon 08-Feb-16 08:05:28

The best way is for you to look for a part-time job. Can you work weekends or evenings? It will be hard but hopefully only for a short time. I know a woman who used to do leaflet posting. She took her kids along with her. Things like cake baking only takes in a small amount of money

hesterton Mon 08-Feb-16 08:17:57

Car boot sale?

AddictedtoGreys Mon 08-Feb-16 08:24:45

Thanks for all the replies! I save as much as I can on the weekly shop at the moment and I'm hoping to start doing Carboot sales again when they start up again where I live. My cakes are not professional I wouldn't say no, so probably wouldn't sell any wink I will have a good sort through the house for anything I can sell on eBay I think, this is such a PITA! chocolate

Xmasbaby11 Mon 08-Feb-16 08:28:39

Yy to selling stuff. Or part time job would easily make the money especially if you do evenings / weekends and Dh does childcare.

winchester1 Mon 08-Feb-16 08:31:08

Take in ironing, sewing
Dog walking of your happy to do that with your toddler.

Theendispie Mon 08-Feb-16 08:33:01

How about local FB selling pages, I don't do FB but my friend has bought things

zzzzz Mon 08-Feb-16 08:35:43

Babysitting is the easiest option. Either in the evening when Dh can look after dc at home or during the day with Dc.

AddictedtoGreys Mon 08-Feb-16 09:10:17

How would I advertise myself as a babysitter? I wouldn't feel comfortable charging my friends IYKWIM

zzzzz Mon 08-Feb-16 09:42:55

Nursery?
Hairdressers?

Cirsium Mon 08-Feb-16 09:49:57

I have advertised on Gumtree as a nanny/babysitter before. Usually yields a few genuine replies (i am a qualified childcarer). But watch out for dodgy replies. I had a guy wanting me to model cashmere Jumpers for a private photo shoot and another call who was very interested in BF hmm. I meet people during the day, usually with DH sat outside in the car, before actually going to work for them. Most Nanny agencies also have a babysitting list.

Sunbeam1112 Mon 08-Feb-16 09:52:21

Baby sitting might require CRB which is 53 pounds. Carboot sales if you have alot of stuff you need rid of.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 08-Feb-16 10:53:47

It is probably quite hard to make money from small scale cake making.

If you add up the cost of ingredients and electricity for cake making, it starts to look expensive compared with shop bought even before you add on any profit - most people don't appreciate home made cake and if they do, they usually just make it themselves.

I would have thought cleaning, babysitting and ebaying if you have a decent amount of stuff to get rid of would be the way to go. I don't know anything about it, but www.sitters.co.uk is a babysitting agency, I believe.

Babyroobs Mon 08-Feb-16 11:05:05

Evening or night job if your dh is around. bar/ restaurant/ supermarket or Join an agency. Near us there is a large sandwich factory where people can do casual work at night packing food / sandwiches etc. is there anything like that near you that you could do for a couple of months short term?

annielostit Mon 08-Feb-16 13:16:22

How down to the wire is your household budget?
Any wiggle room to shave / save of food / personnal budget. I managed to slim mine this month by not buying/filling the fridge with half of TESCO. I needed extra for a weekend away.

1981fkr Mon 08-Feb-16 18:25:14

0% credit card, be strict and use it for what you need, pay it off then close the account, a card and pin should be with you in 7-10 days ( good credit history) I imagine car boot sales won't start till around Spring time. Good luck

hippoherostandinghere Tue 09-Feb-16 22:19:47

The easiest way to make money is to get a part time job. Could you get an evening or weekend job?

gruffalocake2 Thu 11-Feb-16 14:37:40

If you were up for moving bank accounts I know nationwide have a cashback offer at the moment where you split £200 with a friend who recommends you. They also have a £500 fee free overdraft for 12 months so you could get £600 that way (and obviously pay £500 back over the year). Might help!

Stardust16 Sat 13-Feb-16 13:27:12

Have you thought about borrowing small amounts off friends and family? When I asked my nearest and dearest, I was surprised how willing they were to help out. I told them what their money was helping toward, when I'd pay them back (and with a little extra % if I felt they needed the extra incentive). I made sure I paid them back early and gave a thankyou gift (box of chocs etc) to a few small lenders (to help them lend a bit more next time and share the good experience to doubters).
Start small, don't worry about knock-backs and see where it leads. It could get you a long way to your target.
Good luck

Manopaws Sat 13-Feb-16 22:27:51

If you've got a pet keep making video's of it and post them on youtube you make money from the advertising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now