Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Selling CD's

(15 Posts)

So-we have got hundreds and hundreds of CD's. Hundreds. I have a fantasy about taking them to a car boot sale and selling them for £1 each and coming home with, ermmmmm £500? But is that a thing? I mean, do people sell them at car boot sales, or anywhere else for that matter? What have you all done with your CD's now that everything is on Spotify and iTunes? Is there any money at all in flogging off my old ones ?

NickyEds Fri 05-Feb-16 21:53:08

Nope. Sorry! we did a Table top sale before we moved house and took a huge box of cds. We sold perhaps 20 at 50p each and took the rest to the charity shop.

19lottie82 Fri 05-Feb-16 23:15:54

Try music magpie. You might get 15p a CD..... Because yes, you're right, there isn't really a market for them anymore.

Friendlystories Fri 05-Feb-16 23:21:25

Haven't tried it yet but Ziffit is supposed to be good, there's a free app available to download.

usual Fri 05-Feb-16 23:23:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

99percentchocolate Fri 05-Feb-16 23:27:00

We used Ziffit - 25p to about £1.50 (I think) for special editions. Zapper is good too - we scanned each CD into both and then used whichever offered the best price (don't forget to delete off the list of the one you are not sending to though!)
We sold a load of DVDs, CDs, and books a couple of weeks ago and made £140.

MrsWOLF1 Mon 08-Feb-16 08:51:49

We sold books , Dvds, Cds and games via We buy any book .com .Some of the more obscure items raised over £2 each , made about £150

BarbaraofSeville Mon 08-Feb-16 10:38:32

You might have luck on ebay as a job lot and it's probably the lowest effort way of doing it if there is still a demand.

Either do it as buy it now, or just an auction if there looks like there is a good demand. Offer cash on collection or be sure of postage costs, as 500 CDs would be (several?) heavy boxes.

It's 2 or 3 years ago now but I sold about 200 as a bulk lot and it worked out at about a pound each.

I laid them all out in squares on the floor and took photographs of the covers and in the listing just gave an example of what they all were (mine were things like rock/rap/metal punk from 80/90/00s mostly - I didn't bother listing individual titles.

TeaandSunshine Mon 08-Feb-16 14:37:07

I've sold lots of CDs to Momox .co.uk, also books, DVDs and games. I was a bit wary as you have to send them to Germany, but you get a prepaid label and the money is transfered to your account in about a week. I checked other sites but Momox seems to offer better prices for a lot of things

Wow, thank you all for this really interesting and helpful replies. I don't think I can expect the full £1.50 for my husbands' awful Gary Numan collection, but it does sound like we could make some money if we put a bit of effort into it. Thanks so much for this advice !

19lottie82 Wed 10-Feb-16 08:38:48

I think you also need to realise that the longer you hold on to them , you're going to get even less!

Scotmum83 Thu 18-Feb-16 13:03:07

I used music magpie a few years ago and got around 50p - 1.50 per cd but more for obscure ones. Worth a shot if you have the time to scan them all in. Gets rid of them all in one go too rather than trying to sell at car boot.

ameliaesmith84 Tue 01-Mar-16 09:43:44

Depends what you've got really have a look on ebay or used CDs on amazon and see what kind of price they're going for there. You may get a better price selling online than at a car boot sale.

19lottie82 Tue 01-Mar-16 17:48:06

There is no way you'd get anywhere near 50p for a CD on music magpie now. Yesterday I scanned a lot of DVDs and the average was 25p per film!

You may get a small amount selling them but personally , I wouldn't think it would be worth the hassle.

dogsnotsprogs Tue 15-Mar-16 18:03:22

Music magpie earned me like £15 for about 300 CDs. I made more by selling old laptops, iPods and phones. About £70? No actual person will be desperate for CDs or DVDs due to how easy it is to just download or watch online for free! Better off recycling and getting a few quid to put backhalo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now