Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Shop overcharged me and I can't get a response

(4 Posts)
LilyW36 Sun 31-Jan-16 19:59:27

I bought a ring from a well known jewellers in their sale in December. Although they measured my finger in the shop, the ring was too big so they said they'd order it in one size smaller. The shop assistant said their policy was to let me keep both the original ring and the new ring and let me try them on for size at home. I had to pay a refundable £20 deposit to hold both rings.

So I decided which one was the best fit and returned the other one a few days later. The shop assistant took my card and said she had refunded the £20 deposit. When I got my bank statement a few weeks later, it turned out that she'd accidentally charged me an extra £20 instead of refunding the deposit. So now they have overcharged me by £40.

I haven't been able to physically get to the store this week, so I emailed customer services with an explanation of the problem, a copy of the relevant parts of my bank statement and the receipt for the ring exchange where you can clearly see I've been charged another £20. That was over a week ago and I still haven't had a reply, despite sending a follow up email to ask if anything had been sorted out.

I'm going to go into the store next week but I'm worried that they're going to try and keep this money. I met the store manager when I went in there to change the ring and he was very difficult - he clearly wasn't happy that they were honouring the sale price when they changed the ring, even though the sale had finished and I'm worried he'll try and hold on to the £40. I don't have the original receipt from when the ring was first purchased. Either the assistant took it when I changed the ring or I've misplaced/thrown it out with the Christmas receipts. I do have the receipt from when I changed it though.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

BlueThursday Sun 31-Jan-16 20:42:02

Try once more with the shop and if no joy speak to your bank and dispute the transaction. If you've used visa debit they are particularly quick at giving your money back

Rockchick1984 Sun 31-Jan-16 23:48:21

Go into store, you won't have any issues. I used to work for a high street jewellers and never heard of any store letting someone take 2 rings home so I would guess that the manager was annoyed that someone had messed up and allowed you to do that - for the sake of £20 you could have kept both rings!

LilyW36 Mon 01-Feb-16 18:33:44

The manager was the one who said it was fine to take 2 rings home. I couldn't have kept both of them as they had my name, address and bank details on their system. I will go into the store tomorrow and hopefully have more luck than I've had with the customer service department.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now